3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling Kit Install Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:25 PM
TheBaker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling Kit Install Time

Yeah, I know there are a million threads already about leveling kits, i apologize in advance. So i've got an 08 ram 2wd and I just ordered a 1.5'' leveling coil spring spacer by daystar. I've looked through the DIY thread for the 03 2wd leveling kit and that helps a ton. But how long did it take you guys to do it? I'm just a 16 year old kid who wants to level his truck as cheap as possible. The cheapest install i have found is $150 and that's goin through a friend who has hook ups. The DIY makes it not seem too hard, is it misleading? Honestly, would my dad and I, who don't know a whole lot about all this be fine installing ourselves? Or is it worth the $150 to let the pros do it? Thanks a ton.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:20 PM
TheBaker
Professional

One more thing to add, the reason I'm trying to minimize the cost for the leveling kit is because i'm also doing a 3'' body lift and know I'm going to spend at least 300 on that install. That's why I'm considering doing the spacers myself. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 PM
jkillman
Professional

Man im 17 and installed the exact same leveling kit on my truck with my dad and let me tell you...it is a pain. Its almost worth to spend 150 for someone to do it. I got all the information from threads on DF and it seems easy but a lot of problems can occur. With a helping hand and a coil spring compressor its possible but it will take a lot of work and hours. It took me a total of 9 hours to put mine on. But who knows, u could have better luck.

And I plan to get a 3in body lift soon too. I bet your gettin yours from performance accessories, me too. Our taste in mods are basically the same hah

Old 10-16-2008, 08:07 PM
TheBaker
Professional

haha yeah, typical cheap teenage guy mods. and yep, PA makes the body lift. I'm also planning on some 35'' nitto grapplers with 17'' helo rims. But that'll be down the road a few months at least... gotta get the money. haha
thanks for the reply though. I may need to think twice about it now

Old 10-16-2008, 11:21 PM
TexasRam01
Rookie

Whoever you got that price from, are they going to be doing an alignment also when they install... If yes, then 150... in a heart beat (I will be paying for mine to be put on soon)... Many guys on here do there own leveling kits and they knock it out in about 4 hours. I'm sure they will chime in here shortly. Either way, good luck and post pics when you get it done.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:24 PM
TheBaker
Professional

No this wasn't alignment too. I wish, haha. I'll get it aligned afterwards whether it's done by me or the shop. I think I will be able to get a warranty on the alignment meaning after I get the body lift which will be maybe a month after the leveling kit, I get a free alignment. If not, I'll just wait and do it all at once.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:13 AM
greg14_00
Professional

If you have a garage and the right tools i'd do the level kit myself do it on a weekend that way you have lots of time, and then get an alignment right after with the money you will save from the install. You'll have to get the alignment shortly after the level kit but then you will not need one after the body lift because ur not changing anything just raising the body.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:20 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

I have got the same lift, and I have not put it on yet. I really want to do it myself, but my gut is telling me not to. What kind of shops are you guys getting install prices from? I have made a few calls, and I can't find anyone that will do it.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:19 PM
damien1023
Veteran

just curious because i want to level mine soon... who are you guys buying your leveling kits from? i found one from this site and i think it is the right kit "http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/KC09103D16.html" my truck is 2wd. i put the quotes so it would hopefully keep the link. thanks

Last edited by damien1023; 11-22-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:40 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i got the top gun customz 2.5 inch leveling kit a few days ago. I installed it yesterday. Overall it was a pretty easy install, but it was time consuming. the tgc is nice because you do not need a spring compressor at all. on the new trucks the upper ball joints seperate pretty easy, at least mine did, by just dropping the nut to the bottm thread and tapping it afew times with a hammer and then take the nut off. IF anyone needs any advice or help installing the tgc style spacers shoot me a pm and id be glad to help. If your good with tools and have some knowledge of how your front suspension works its pretty easy. Id would however advice that maybe get a buddy to help because it makes it a whole lot easier and less frustrating trying to lift things back into place and put nuts on at the same time haha..... I must say i love my truck a whole lot more now that its leveled out. Looks soo much cleaner.

oh yeah youll need a good floor jack and a few jack stands to do the job......

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit Install Time