3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust dillema

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:14 PM
khuenefeldt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust dillema

I posted a couple weeks back about some exhaust questions. I've researched for hours on catbacks, and then came to the conclusion that i'd just ask my muffler guy. So i gave him a call today, and he recommended that i don't change the muffler. He said he hasn't done an 06 dodge with the MDS system, but typically on the hemi's that come in, he Y's the outlet pipe out of the stock muffler and runs duals out from the Y. He said that when the resonator is taken off, that gives you about the sound you want. He stated that he's changed the muffler out on the hemi's before and he said the sounds is so loud in the cab that it's not tolerable.

Does anyone have a sound clip of just the last resonator removed? I want just a little sound, but mostly the look of Dual exhaust pointing towards the ground exiting behind the rear wheels. My fear is taking the resonator off and while in 4 cylinders that it sounds horrible. I figure this has been done before tho. If you have a soundclip or video, please post

PS...i can't view anything on Youtube, because the company blocks it which really irritates me...but hey...Communist China sensors the internet too

Old 10-22-2008, 05:17 PM
jkillman
Professional

Well it really depends on the type and kind of muffler you put on. I had a dual flowmaster 44, one of the loudest flowmaster series, and it was pretty mellow, for my taste anyways. Just a little humm in the cab while accelerating. I just put in a summit glasspack with 1outlet and the stock tail pipe. It is much louder. It is prettyy loud in the cab.

But like I said, it all depends on the type and kind of mmuffler. I would put on a muffler if I were you, more power than the stock

Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
rbau493

I dont have a front resonator, but I removed the resonator near the end of the tailpipe to get just a little more sound. Mind you all I did was take the pipe off just behind the muffler. Myself and my co-worker didnt really think it changed the sound at all if any. So I dont know if its because the exhaust was exiting right from the muffler and/or if it would make a difference if I added a pipe from the muffler to a tip or not.

Im in the same boat, I want a little more sound but do not want any or very very minimal resonance or drone in the cab. I too called a trusted muffler shop (we deal with them for work) and he said he hasnt heard any mufflers for a MSD Hemi that was not what he considered loud. I asked about taking the resonator off only but he said it wouldnt make it louder or anything noticeable but would have more resonance.

Maybe try what I did and take the rear exhaust pipe with the resonator on it. Theres one clamp right behind the muffler and see what you think. I did it in about 3 mins including grabbing my tools.

Quick Reply: exhaust dillema