3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L Overheating - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 PM
timothyfrohlich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New water pump, same problem. It is strange. My truck overheated, so i put a gallon on water in the reservoir and i drove it home 15 miles with no problems. So i bought the water pump, then drove it another 20 miles no problems. Get there, change the water pump and now it's overheating. I DID bleed the system, but somehow it seems air is getting into the system and causes the reservoir to bubble and overflow...plus it's still getting hot. It is beyond my knowledge, which isn't very extensive to begin with. Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by timothyfrohlich
New water pump, same problem. It is strange. My truck overheated, so i put a gallon on water in the reservoir and i drove it home 15 miles with no problems. So i bought the water pump, then drove it another 20 miles no problems. Get there, change the water pump and now it's overheating. I DID bleed the system, but somehow it seems air is getting into the system and causes the reservoir to bubble and overflow...plus it's still getting hot. It is beyond my knowledge, which isn't very extensive to begin with. Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Possible head gasket...could be a small enough leak that you wouldn't notice otherwise. They sells trips that detect gases in your coolant...might wanna try that next.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 PM
timothyfrohlich

Where can i get these strips? and where would i check it? the reservoir?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

My fault...strips are for testing how acidic the coolant is. For combustion gases you get a little tube with a rubber thing on the end....coolant gets sucked up in the tube and it'll change color. You can also use a pressure tester...when the engine is cold put like 5psi of pressure in and start the engine. If it starts to climb before the temp comes up there's a leak from one of the cylinders. Either way i'd rent a pressure tester..it is free after all.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Old 10-28-2008, 01:40 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like a head gasket to me too with bubbles in the coolant.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 PM
timothyfrohlich

I believe the bubbling is just from air gettin in the system and heating up. I am getting the radiator flushed tomorrow to eliminate that as a source of a problem, before I move to the head gasket...if it is the head gasket, I might just trade the damn truck in...for a Hemi

Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good move, my dealer down here in Louisville has some nice ones left!!

Quick Reply: 4.7L Overheating - Help!