3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey guys, new and some quesitons..

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Hemi Firefighter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hey guys, new and some quesitons..

hey there..

Im trading/selling my 07 mustang GT in for an 08 or 07 1500.. depends on what i can find on the lots..

ive done my research and have a couple questions for you guys with experience as this would be my first dodge. Note that i am a guy that knows ford up and down.. motor to suspension, and its hard for me not to lean towards another f150.. but they are just stupidly priced right now.. fx4's are freakin 36k.. used they are still up there..

so on that, heres a few questions..

-Ive pretty much got the "MDS" thing down, and all that, is there anything i should know about it? anyhting you guys like / or like to hate about it?

-whats the deal with the lifetime powertrain warranty?.. the guy at the stealership said it covers your timing chain (or belt, not sure what dodge runs).. i used to work at advance auto parts and heard alot of crap about the dodge tranny's.. is this stuff all covered? and +'s/-'s i should know?

-why cant i find a freakin Ram with painted grill surround and bumper.. they are all chrome.. but i see pictures everywhere of i think the SLT sport and they have the painted front ends..

- I want to try and get a silver, dark grey, or black truck and paint the factory 20's black untill i can afford lift/tires/wheels/ etc.. is this something you guys see alot of on the forum? i have yet to see some one paint rims or atleast talk about it on this forum (went through like 15 pages of threads tonight). Also, the truck i am lookin at the dealer has the chrome 20's.. are ppl intrested in those over the machined finished 20's.. bc i would trade someone straight up (depending on life of the tires of the other persons wheels) so that i could paint those wheels black.. (cant paint chrome)

- starting to see more about leveling kits on these trucks.. saw one thread of a dark grey truck that leveled and did a 1" block and went with some 325/60/20's nitto terra grapplers.. truck sat pretty nice.. any info on this?.. read a little bit about 4x4 shakes after the leveling kits..

- anything you guys can tell me as far as the trucks go, or what first mods you would do (CAI? Tuner? etc..).. does a CAI require a tuner? (my stang had to have a tune to run an intake or else it would ping/detonate..

anything you guys can throw at me.. i would reallllly appreciate it.. im looking forward to gettin into a ram.. as much as i always said and gave my brother in law a hard time for drivin one, the new ones have grown on me.. they sit the best for being stock, the stance is nice, where as the f150 looks like *** untill its lifted..

thanks again and hope to slap some pics up of a new truck within the week

Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Personally, id LOVE a set of machine finish 20's so i could paint em and run em as my winter boots. Only part of MDS im not fond of is the drone of my magnaflow muffler, but ive got used to it. I dont have a programmer but i did run a mopar CAI and a magnaflow SI/DO muffler. Welcome to DF, good luck on getting your new truck & look fwd to seeing pics of it.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Hemi Firefighter
Rookie

thanks for the help man..

ya i remember talkin to someone about that, if you have exhaust it will sound like crap when it engages.. but whatever..

thanks again man, and ill definitely post some pics when i get a truck!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:46 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I am a Ford convert myself. I still have my 88 5.0 LX hatchback and a 63 F100, but now own 3 new Dodges.
The Lifetime powertrain warranty is only available if you buy a new 08. They are priced right for buying!!! It covers most all internals of the engine, trans and differentials (and transfer case if 4x4). You just need to take it in every 5 years (within 60 days of the purchase date) for a free inspection. It even covers CV boots on FWD and 4x4's.
I love my new Ram. The Hemi is the only way to go. The MDS is almost unnoticable. I am getting around 14.5mpg around town. I haven't had it on the highway for awhile.
Get the 3.92 gears (usually part of the Bighorn edition with 20" wheels).

The Sport edition has the painted bumpers and such.

As for the chrome clad wheels, you could pry off the plastic chrome clad and paint the aluminum wheels underneath black. They should look the same as the non-chrome ones as far as I can tell. Mine came with the chrome clad wheels and the optional WOL tires. I tried to get them to swap them for the non-chrome ones, but they told me that due to the big Firestone Fiasco years ago, all tires are attached to the VIN number in case there is a recall.

Quick Reply: Hey guys, new and some quesitons..