3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Hoeter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start

I am a new owner of a Dodge Ram- 2007 QC 4x4 SLT with the 4.7L engine. Anyways, with the winter fast approaching I am thinking about installing a remote starter in my Ram. Question is....I am not sure that my Ram has an anti-theft feature and if so, will I need another part to get the remote starter to work?

Sorry to sound like such a noob- as this is my first post. I have had the truck for more than a month now, and love it better than my previous car, a Chevy.

I appreciate any help with this issues. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:22 PM
TexasRam01
Rookie

I have the '08 with the 4.7. Great truck... Yes you will need another part. I just had an aftermarket alarm/ remote start put on mine. I went with Viper. Due to the fact our keys have a chip in them, a "module box" has to be installed, and it will hold one of your factory keys. This will allow the truck to start without having the key in the ignition. Any reputable car audio / electronics store will be able to set you up. If you do wind up getting one of these, make sure about the warranty. Most places (Best Buy & Circuit City... etc) will not warranty the remote start / alarm in house. They will remove it and let you send it in to the manufacturer. I was only able to find one place around me that will warranty the alarm in house. Best of luck.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:41 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Hoeter
I am a new owner of a Dodge Ram- 2007 QC 4x4 SLT with the 4.7L engine. Anyways, with the winter fast approaching I am thinking about installing a remote starter in my Ram. Question is....I am not sure that my Ram has an anti-theft feature and if so, will I need another part to get the remote starter to work?

Sorry to sound like such a noob- as this is my first post. I have had the truck for more than a month now, and love it better than my previous car, a Chevy.

I appreciate any help with this issues. Thanks.
Depends if you have a black key or grey key fob...the black keys don't have a starter kill chip in them. If you have a black key i'd go with an after market system...it'll be cheaper and easier for them to install but you'll ahve issues with your warranty for anything ignition related.

If you have the grey key just get the factory remote start..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Hoeter

I've got the black key with the keyless entry built in.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Ben D.
Champion

all keys still ahve the transponder in them. you will need the bypass to allow the vehicle to remote start. chryslers are a PITA to do these things on but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. all wires are resistance triggered ..... but totally workable. depending on what you're going for, remstart, keyless, security would be how i'd pick the system. definatley go with a DEI product. DEI makes, viper, python, and so many more.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The factory system isn't that much and is covered by the vehicle warranty if dealer installed. Oh, it must have an auto transmission. http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...ubGroupId=3296
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3314&pc=12247

Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 AM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Originally Posted by lxman1
The factory system isn't that much and is covered by the vehicle warranty if dealer installed. Oh, it must have an auto transmission. http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...ubGroupId=3296
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3314&pc=12247
I have an '07 with the black key/fob. Since the beast is to big to fit in my garage, a remote start is sounding like a good option.

The first link is a $70 part. The second link is a $210 part. I can't tell from the descriptions if you need both of them. The first one says it's for "2007 Ram 1500 w/o EVS". What's EVS? It also says it has to be activated by a dealer w/ the starscan tool.

joe

Quick Reply: Remote Start