3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

burnt grease smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:44 PM
wer2nv4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnt grease smell

I just parked my truck fro the day and noticed a burnt grease smell coming from the rear end. I walked around the truck to see small oily spots on the tailgate and bumper. So I took a look underneath to discover an oily substance splattered around the underside of the back of the truck. I seem to be infront of the "pumpkin" in the middle of the axel. But I'm not sure what it could be. Is it safe to drive to the garage? Any ideas woulf be appreciated.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:59 PM
sos
All Star

Could be anything from a bad seal on the transmission, transfer case, loose oil filter or drain plug, power steering fluid, etc. Really could be anything. Check your fluid levels and look around the engine compartment to see if there's anything in there. Even though it's in the back, any fluid that leaks from the engine is going to be blown back that way. I don't know if it's safe or not, but I wouldn't drive it far before getting it checked.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:24 PM
wer2nv4
Default no leaks in the front

There are no leaks anywhere near the middle or front of the truck. The leak seems to be located near the "pumpkin" or maybe from their. I'll have to take it to the garage in the morning.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 PM
sos
All Star

It could be either the seal for the pumpkin cover or the seal where the driveshaft enters.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:18 PM
wer2nv4
Talking pinion seal

Well I took My truck to the garage this morning and they had a look at it and said it was the pinion seal. A common occurance for Dodges. When they fixed it they said that the nut that hold the drive shaft in was very loose. They didn't have to use a tool to remove it. when all was said and done $17 for the seal,$12 for 2L of oil and $30 labour, Not bad!!! I was expecting at least $200.00. So I got a case of beer with the money I saved.
Cheers

Quick Reply: burnt grease smell