3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock 20in Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
No matter what you use to paint your wheels, they will chip like crazy. You need to have them powdercoated black. They will look a thousand times better and be resistant to chips and chemicals that you spray on your tires or wheels to clean. I contacted a local company here in Albany, NY like 2 years ago for a set of rims I wanted done. They told me it ould be $140 per wheel to have dipped (removes all coatings and makes the metal porous for the new color) painted and baked. I think that is worth every penny. They will last forever unlike the cheap spray paints that will be used otherwise and will look good at maybe 10ft away at best for like the first week. Then it's all downhill. ( I don't car if you use caliper paint, won't last nearly 1/4 as long or look like the powdercoating will)
While powdercoat is undeniably tougher than paint, $540 is a lot of money to put into coating wheels. I paid $50 in materials and got a finish that looks nearly the same as powdercoat. I also have 1000 miles on them with no chips at all. If you paint them right you can get a very nice finish for a tenth of the price of powdercoat.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:18 AM
dalmic72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off road teacher, can you send me the link that you have that shows how to paint the calipers. Thanks bro!!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 AM
JamesVT
Rookie

All I know is that recently I went through an insurance claim replacing one of the 20" rims on my 2004 Ram, and the rim was just a little over $900.00. FOR ONE! I know you can find them cheaper used and this and that, but I would be pretty weary of painting those rims. Good luck either way.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by dalmic72
Off road teacher, can you send me the link that you have that shows how to paint the calipers. Thanks bro!!
I am going to post the entire write up on here I have had a lot of people asking me how to do it and since I can't post the link I will post the entire write up as a new thread.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by JamesVT
All I know is that recently I went through an insurance claim replacing one of the 20" rims on my 2004 Ram, and the rim was just a little over $900.00. FOR ONE! I know you can find them cheaper used and this and that, but I would be pretty weary of painting those rims. Good luck either way.
WHOA! Now I feel like I got even a better deal when I bought all four with tires for $250

Old 12-16-2008, 06:43 AM
JamesVT
Rookie

lol yeah i'd say so! I bought a winter set for $350.00 of craigslist with shot Wrangler Hp's! I then threw some Cooper Zeon LTZ's on for a mear $700.00 more. haha

Quick Reply: Stock 20in Rims