3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fiberglass Cap...pros/cons

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:55 AM
buffalodan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Cap...pros/cons

I tried searching the forums but didnt see any threads on this, so sorry if its been discussed before. Ive been going back and forth over getting a fiberglass cap for my truck. For those who have them how do you like them? I used to have an aluminum one on my first truck back in 1987...a little Nissan and the cap was very light; I could take it off if I needed to by myself. I know that wont be the case if I get one for the Dodge, but I dont know just how heavy they are. How much do they weigh? I have a soft tonneau now and I occasionally have to unsnap it to load stuff. I camp a lot and pull a 27' travel trailer. I usually throw firewood, a grill, kids bikes etc in the bed so I think Id be okay for that type of stuff. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

i think that truck caps are for old men. they look like crap. as far as wieght i had one on a old truck i bought, it came with it and i sold it , but that sucker was a fiberglass one made by leer and it took 2 guys to take it off.
rember this is my opinion . but i think there ugly.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
i think that truck caps are for old men. they look like crap....
Yeah. Look how it ruined this old guys truck-

Old 11-08-2008, 12:00 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
Yeah. Look how it ruined this old guys truck-
that was my opinion yes but let me refrase my opinion... if you have a stock looking truck it looks bad. if you deck it out like yours it looks prety sweet. but it still reminds me of a big suv like a suburban or something.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I like em. It protects the bed if you live in the north, it keeps your stuff dry when you head out for a hunting/fishing trip, and yah, I'm an old guy----but I had a cap even when I was young!!! If you own a dog, and you don't want to clean up all the fur in the cab, or have the seats poked with holes from claws, a cap is a great way to go. There's lots of different ones out now, and they're form fitted and color matched too. Take a look at Century caps. You can add a rack to the top if you need to also-----canoe????

Old 11-08-2008, 05:22 PM
buffalodan

Well Im 40 so I guess I may quality as old.....I was thinkin a color matching fiberglass cap (graphite metallic) like the red one posted above. Looks sharp.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:05 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toppers are a curse and a blessing in the same breath.

Foregt moving a fridge with a topper, but a topper keeps my tools dry, if you get one, get one with a front slider if you have a rear slider, the ironic thing is If need a trailer to hual any thing that don't fit in my truck, defeats the utility of a truck, but my tools and supplies are protected from the ellements, and I have a dry place to sleap when camping...

Do not get a topper with a full glass rear door, the struts don't hold up, and the pop rivets for the brackets break, I have a ARE suv type topper, I bougt it used, the topper is three years older than my 06 2500 Ram, booth look sharp...

Last edited by cyclone429; 11-08-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Cap...pros/cons