3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Lemon and Chrysler Refuses to Deal with Me

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:21 PM
CrawfishStu
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Lemon and Chrysler Refuses to Deal with Me

I decided to post this up for a couple of reasons.
1) I would like to get some advice from people that have had this type of issue on how to proceed.
2) I would like to inform other people of the problems that I have had and help them avoid the mistakes that I made in dealing with my Dodge Dealership.
3) Hopefully, someone who matters at Chrysler will read this and see how a devoted Chrysler consumer that bought a brand new truck has been treated and will intervene or help out.

Bear with me. I’m trying to stick to detail and not to rant. It’s a long story and I want to lay it all out there.

The wife and I decided to take our 95 Grand Cherokee Limited that we use for rock crawling off of the road permanently. To tow this, I needed a truck. We decided to get a newer truck to tow it with and to replace my daily driver 99 Grand Cherokee Limited at the same time. On Saturday, the first dealer we went to was Tate Dodge in Glen Burnie, MD. Our salesperson, Dave, was great and we drove a fairly standard 1500 Quadcab 4x4 BigHorn. The wife wasn’t happy with the price or the luxury level of the truck. We went to the Chevy dealer and the Ford dealer and drove trucks there as well. The Ford we drove was a loaded FX-4 at a really great price. I still wanted a Dodge because of the lifetime warranty, higher tow rating, power steering cooler, and tow/haul mode. I have a history of owning my vehicles for a long time, if not forever. My wife wanted a higher level of comfort. By the time we got back to Tate, they were closed. I went back on Monday morning, July 21st. I talked to Dave and he brought me to see a 1500 Quadcab 4x4 Laramie that didn’t even look like anyone had test driven it and beat the price to death before my very eyes. My wife came by that afternoon and drove it. I met them after work and we bought it.

Now the sad part starts.

First Problem 8/29/08 2798 Miles
I was driving the truck on the interstate in the rain. The radio, headlights, and windshield wipers were on. The instrument panel lost power, the radio lost power, the windshield wipers stopped in the middle of the windshield, and the headlights lost power. The truck was still running and was pulled to the side of the road. All of the electrical components that had failed seemed to return to normal operation after a few minutes of sitting. The truck was pulled back into traffic but the lights kept dimming on the instrument panel and the headlights seemed to keep dimming out as well. The warning lights on the dash for the electronic stability control, airbag, check 4x4, and transmission kept coming on. The light that indicates that the 4x4 is trying to engage was continuously flashing as well. I made it home and the truck was parked and then turned off. I went in and got my wife so we could go drop it off at the dealership. It would not start. The check 4x4 and check transmission light were on. Chrysler’s towing service was called at 7pm and showed up around 11:30pm. On Saturday, 8/30/08, the service department contacted me regarding the truck and the problem was explained to them along with an issue described best as bump steer at highway speed while going around a slight curve. I was told it could be the same issue with the transfer case causing that as well and that they would begin working on it right away. My wife and I made several calls throughout the day to check on the status of the repair. At 1:30 pm, my husband and I went to the dealership and spoke to the service manager to check on the status of the truck. My husband and I were told that it would not be ready today, that the service department would be closed on Monday for Labor Day, and that they were not sure what was wrong with it. We asked them about getting a rental since the truck would be out of service for multiple days. They informed us that the rental company closes at 12pm on Saturday and would not be open on Monday either. We spoke to the sales manager and were told that if we needed to, we could rent a car from another place and submit the cost for reimbursement. We decided we could do without a rental until Tuesday to make things easier but we did appreciate the offer. On Tuesday, 9/2/08, we went back to the dealership to get a rental. We spoke to a service writer and he called to have a rental car brought over to us. After 45 minutes we went back to the service writer to find out what the status of the rental car was. He called them and found out the rental company showed up, did not see us waiting in front of the dealership, and left without speaking to anyone. We then drove to the rental company to help expedite the process. We were both late for work that day. Despite having multiple contact numbers, only the home number was called in the afternoon of 9/3/08 to inform us the truck was ready for pickup.

Second Problem 9/4/08 2798 Miles
At 9am, I went to pick up the truck from the service department before work. I attempted to start the truck using the factory remote start system. The truck did not start. I thought the doors may have been unlocked or that one of them may have been open and the safety bypass was not letting it start. I started it with the key and drove it approximately 300 yards to the front of the dealership. While parked, I attempted to engage part time four wheel drive and it would not engage. The warning lights for the stability control, 4x4, airbag, and transmission came on. I turned the vehicle off and returned to the service department to inform them of the problem. The technician that had worked on the truck came out to look at it. The truck would not start and the check 4x4 and transmission warning lights were on. I was late for work that day. On 9/10/08, I was called and told that the vehicle was ready for pickup. I specifically asked if it had been tested for proper function and was told it had been tested

Third Problem 9/10/08 2801 Miles
On 9/10/08, I went to pick up the truck from the service department. The truck once again failed to start using the factory remote start system. The truck started with the key. I drove it down the highway and attempted to engage the part time four wheel drive system. It would not engage. The warning lights for the stability control, airbag, and check 4x4 came on. I returned to the dealership and spoke to the sales manager. The sales manager called the service manager and had him meet with me to go over the issues with the truck. The service manager could not get it to engage into any mode of four wheel drive and took the truck back to be serviced. On 9/11/08 at 10am, I called the sales manager back to discuss what could be done to rectify the situation with the truck. I told him that I needed to be able to tow over the weekend. The sales manager said he would check with the service manager and would call me back. The sales manager called back at 10:30am and informed me that they were working on the truck and would make sure I could tow for the weekend. The sales manager called later in the day to let me know that the part was on order and that the truck could be returned with two wheel drive only so that it would not be out of service while the part was ordered and that I would be called when the part came in. I picked up the truck and used it in two wheel drive while I waited for the part to come in.

Fourth Problem 9/22/08 3649 Miles
After not hearing from the dealership, I called them on 9/22/08 to find out what the status of the parts was. They said that the parts were in but were under my wife’s name so they didn’t know to call anyone. On 9/23/08, I dropped the truck off and also reported that the power seat was not functioning properly. I was called that afternoon and told that the problems were fixed. I picked it up after work.

Fifth Problem 9/25/08 3750 Miles
On 9/25/08, the truck was being driven at night in the rain. The instrument panel, headlights, wipers, and radio all stopped functioning and the airbag, stability control warning, and 4x4 lights came on. The 4x4 light continued to blink until the vehicle was parked. In the morning, the truck was brought to the dealership for service again. The service manager attempted to engage the 4x4 system and then the vehicle would not start again.

On 9/26/08, I wised up. I put letters in the mail to Chrysler outlining each issue and asking that someone contact me regarding my truck. Something that I apparently should have done the first time it went in for service. I will do this every time it goes in for anything in the future. I also called their customer care center. I started a complaint with them and was told that the district sales manager would call me. I spoke to the service manager and was told that they found a bad connector. They were going to order a pigtail and splice in a new section. I was not pleased that they would be cutting up a factory harness on a brand new truck. I also felt that at this point the truck was just unsafe and I had given them ample opportunity to fix the issue. I really just want them to find me another truck. I waited until 9/30/08 and called the customer care again because I had not heard anything from anyone. I told them that I was unhappy with the truck and did not feel I could rely on it or drive it safely. I was told that they turned the case back over to the dealer and that I should call them with my concern. I would not be getting a call from the district manager even though I was told that I would. I attempted to escalate the call to a superior and wound up on hold for an hour until someone new picked up and assured me I would get a call. The owner of my company, a practicing lawyer, was disturbed by my treatment and by the affect that my new vehicle was having on my job. He called the dealer and went up the chain that way until he got the regional supervisor for service and a district sales manager and arranged for them to call me. They called me that afternoon. I have their names and will post up what I have later. During the call, the service manager was very helpful. He explained exactly what they were going to do to the truck and what the problem was. A bad connector in the ignition system at the column was basically turning power off to the accessories. He however did not know if it would fix the 4x4. The district sales guy was less than amiable. He seemed most concerned with telling me why I had to let them keep fixing this truck and letting me test it at the expense of my families safety. He said that the warranty was in place to fix these issues. He told me that this would not be a lemon law issue because it was only in for the third time for this issue and that it was a minor electrical item and that they would fix it. He said I couldn’t count the time I brought it in for just a seat malfunction or the time that they had let me have it back with 2wd only while they waited to get a part. He assured me that I was not being inconvenienced. “It’s not like you have to walk. You have a vehicle that we are providing you with.” I did not go out and buy any of the rentals that I have been driving. I didn’t buy a Magnum, Grand Caravan, or a Dakota. I’m paying the note on a 2008 Ram. I’m paying the insurance on a 2008 Ram. What I wanted and needed was a full sized, 4 door, half ton. I told him that I didn’t feel like anyone there was looking out for me or my safety. I didn’t feel loved or cared about for lack of a better term. He said “I’m on the phone with you now. There’s your love.” The entire conversation would have honestly gone better had I not talked to him. All he did was anger me and make me feel like I needed treat Chrysler like they were trying to stick me with a dangerous and defective truck. On 10/4/08, I was called by the service manager to let me know that they got the pigtail in and installed it but the 4x4 system still wasn’t working. Today, 10/7/08, he called again to let me know that only one of the parts that they needed came in and that I would be called tomorrow with an update.

All that being said, I still want a Dodge Ram. I’ve had several Chryslers and they have all been good to me except this one. About the only thing I would change about my truck aside from its dependability would be to get a mega cab for the extra interior space. The Tate Dodge staff itself has been helpful and I’m sorry they had to deal with my boss. A job best left for people he pays directly to put up with his abrasive personality. The service writer, Danny has been nice and helpful. The sales manager, Crestin, has been great. The service manager, Roger, has also helped and I honestly believe he has done the best he can. This had to be escalated because they can’t do what needs to be done.

Thanks for your time.

For the Chrysler guys, my reference number with your customer care department is 17941975 and the last 8 numbers of my VIN are 8s622542.

Joseph and Anndria W. of Crofton, MD.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:42 AM
sos
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what your state has for a Lemon Law, but at this point I would tell the dealer you are going to contact the State Attorney General. If they don't budge, do it. I'm pretty sure in my state (MA), if you have it in 3 times for the same problem and it's still not fixed, the Lemon Law is now in play.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 AM
CrawfishStu
Professional

The lemon law is pretty complex in MD. You have the same 3 times for a single issue to get it fixed or just twice for a steering or braking issue. You have 12K to do so. The kicker is that you have to contact the manufacturer by certified mail and they get 30 days to fix the problem from that point. Even if the lemon law is enacted. They can take 15% of your purchase price just for you buying it and deduct "a reasonable amount for milage" In other words. You are going to lose a ton of money and you aren't going to get a deal on an 09 like you did on the 08 because there aren't any left.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 AM
bolang
Professional

Sorry to hear about your trouble.My wife and i went thru same problem with ford 6 years ago.You have been more than fair with the dealership and dodge.Get the paper work started on the lemon law with state attorney general and chrysler motor corp.Once we got started (30 days later)the regional sales manager gave us a full refund plus another vehicle well below cost.They hated us before it was all over.GOOD LUCK

Old 10-08-2008, 09:44 AM
VA4MEDS
Veteran

What a nightmare.

I would suggest going the lemon law route also. No matter what Chrysler has to say.

I think your boss could help you out with this and I mean in the paperwork department not phone calls.

GOOD LUCK!!

Let us know how things are going from time to time.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Mystro
Captain

Don't expect Chrysler or the dealer to do anything. Most times they just wont unless a attorney gets involved. Get yourself a attorney settle the matter. You will lose less money in the end and you will sleep better.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 AM
CrawfishStu
Professional

After dealing with the call center in India again today and getting put on hold for a supervisor for about 30 minutes, I decided to put the call on hold and call a lawyer. I talked to a guy here
http://www.kahnandassociates.com/cas...ID=55307238522

Basically, he said 80% of them wind up with just a cash offer from the company to just make you go away. If that's the case, they get 1/3 of it. If I get a replacement vehicle, their fees will be paid by the manufacturer. If I don't like any of the deals offered, I don't have to take anything and I don't have to pay the lawyer. They send out an email for you to agree to use them, then their local rep will call you and you will get a prepaid envelope to send out all your documents.

2 important things. It didn't seem to matter that the manufacturer was only contacted after the fifth time. It also doesn't matter if they fix it again and I pick it up and it is still working at the time of the claim. He said it sounded like sufficient grounds for a claim. I know they are trying to get paid, but it sounds like they would just loose money if they took on everything.

My call was still on hold with Chrysler when I finished with him. I hung up.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:42 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems. i am very pleased with my 08, though it is a 2wd.
I don't know if having a different dealer look at it may help. A fresh set of eyes may find the real problem.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
CrawfishStu
Professional

It will never be going back to Tate Dodge again for service. Shame is that it is the closest one to me. I'll have to go out of the way to get to another one.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:02 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I do the same, I have a non 5star dealer about 3 miles away, but deal with a better dealer about 20 miles away.

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Lemon and Chrysler Refuses to Deal with Me