3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Auxiliary Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:53 PM
screamskiier
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary Lighting

i am looking into auxiliary lighting for driving on long dark mountain roads in upstate NY that i usually travel on. was looking at hella 500s what are your thoughts on them? also looking for some type of better lighting for heavy snow and fog conditions what do you guys recommend? Any advise is greatly appreciated

Matthew

Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Vandersnoot
Professional

Originally Posted by screamskiier
also looking for some type of better lighting for heavy snow and fog conditions what do you guys recommend? Any advise is greatly appreciated

Matthew
HID's....

Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HID s are the best. But a cheap and cool looking thing to do is drop some 6 inch KC's behind your grill. That way you can flip em on and off as needed and it looks Bad A ss

Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also might want to look into changing out the headlight bulbs with Silverstar Ultras--or similar. I did the headlamps and fogs on mine this last weekend for the same reasons ---deer and other assorted animals on dark farm roads on the way to work---MUCH BETTER NOW!!!!!. I will also get driving lights and fogs later on Hella 3000's I think was the number, but that requires a light bar for the front first.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:53 PM
fourseven

Originally Posted by oefootball_70
HID s are the best. But a cheap and cool looking thing to do is drop some 6 inch KC's behind your grill. That way you can flip em on and off as needed and it looks Bad A ss
Agreed, does look BA. Are there any pictures or write-ups from those who have done this?

Even just eye candy would be nice!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

Get some Hellas and throw in some HID's into them. Thats what I wanted to do but my Hellas take H2 bulbs and they dont make HID's for them.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 PM
screamskiier
Rookie

i ordered 2 hella 500s and might order some hella rallye 4000s if the 500s dont give me enough light. also thinking of buying some silverstars is there a site where i can buy them on the internet?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:27 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2008 dodge ram and my lights are bright as F***, especially my foglights. It almost seems like I have HID from the factory. I don't understand why everyone has trouble seeing with those lights?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:38 AM
mmstar23
Champion

check this thread out bud:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/179644-headlight-upgrades.html

basically to sum it up for ya' i would stay away from silverstars or any other "high performance" halogen bulb. adding some off road lighs behind the grille is a nice touch and looks cool as well as lights the road a lot better, i have them, but mounted on my bull bar rather than the cross member in the grille. as for lighting things up.....HIDs!!! theres a link to my vid in that thread linked above ^^

Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 PM
reindeerman
Rookie

If you don’t already have “factory” fog lamps I would suggest trying them. They come in two different “kit” configurations depending on the year and original equipment on your truck.
They are widely available through many sources, dealer, internet & EBay.

I installed a set and have been well pleased. Good improvement for driving when there is no moon and things are really dark on the less traveled roads. Great in Rain, Fog and Snow.

I drive wherever as needed all year and have been satisfied. If this is not enough for you can always ad the “Off Road” Hella’s later.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Lighting