3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

so called power wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:15 PM
whiteram05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one know where we can find the connectors so we can make our own plug-n-go hot wire? Seems that if a connector is already on the truck, somewhere we should be able to purchase our own to keep from having to splice?

Old 12-09-2008, 03:19 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Old 12-09-2008, 09:42 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finding raw connectors that match OEM vehicle connectors is actually a huge PITA. You usually end up with companies who are willing to purchase a large-ish batch to make their products from (like AirRam's Power Wire product) but have to mark it up to cover the initial outlay.

After all, we know we're buying a resistor that costs a dime, a couple feet of wire, and the proper connectors. Is that worth the other $49.50? It apparently is to enough people to make it worthwhile.

Radio Shack resistor + 2 crimps + heatshrink = success for me.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 AM
6 hemi ram
Professional

its nice to see this thread come back.

i would like to see photos of the wire mounted in the engine bay to get a good feel for where and what is needed to do this cheap mod for those of us without alot of money to throw. no offense Airram.

i know im not the only one that wants to see this, so RamRod thanks you in advance.

think of it as a chistmas gift to your fellow Rammers.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 AM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie
Default the idea behind this

Well I am going to fix this.
I will take picture's and put it out here, but I will have to wait some days! (have to get home from work)
the plan is to mount this in with a switch so i can flip the resistor in when temerature is more than 10 degrees C. I will test this and give a coment!
Now there is winter and temp is below 0 degrees, so I dont expect any big smile before summer. But I have too try!

From what I can reed out off the info I can find "online" this mod is moving the timing some degrees.
so if yuo use a programmed ECU (like a superchips program) that is programmed with a 87oct program and use 89 oct (ore more) for some reason,
then this mod can provide you some extra MPG. But only when temerature is more than 10 degrees C.

To the original ECU users I can say this:
From what i know, the factory program have to be done so the car can use diffrent type off fuel. also bad fuel like 87oct or worse, maybe as low as 85. (someone will corect this if anyone know more about it!) If so, you can do this mod, If you have a good OCT on your fuel.
So this mod can MAYBE have some benefit to all off you!

this is due to the nature off ECU programs. The program feature is when you are driving in cold environment the ECU will advance your timing.
Then manny say why the temp limit. Well the programing off ECU say when you go under 0 degrees C, then the timing is at max. So temp below 0 dont move your timing, But at this low temps will add fuel to your enginge So that is why you dont want this "power wire" at cold times. I guess about 5,5 KOhms move the temp about 10 degrees down.

Well if this information is corect then this will work within the corect settings.
But do your self a favour check that this work! The programing on your ECU might be diffrent
and if you have any chance to controll what temp your ECU "see" the do that!
THEN IF YOU GET "PING" IN YOR ENGINE WHEN YOU DO THIS MOD, THEN REMOVE YOR MOD

Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

You're close. Once you hit the threshold temp, it's not going to add fuel or timing. And it doesn't technically add timing, it lmits the WOT retard during higher temps.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:41 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Also, the minute you cut into your stock wiring harness, at any point, you can kiss your warranty goodbye. That's why airrams product is worth $50.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM
whiteram05
Professional

That is why I thought about finding connectors to make my own wire. However, it seems the best way may just be to fork over the money to buy the wire. I am not into voiding my truck's warranty.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Stellar_D
Rookie

would a guy how lives in alberta canada, where it is only hot say 2 months out of the year have any use for the power wire? also is it going to do anything without any other mods? i noticed guys like it with the superchips, and i might go with the predator later, but this seems like a cheap mod that might be decent, barring the "sucker" comments of course.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Here is a pic..........

Quick Reply: so called power wire