3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cb radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 PM
bananafarmer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it would plug into your cigerette lighter if you got the hook up, the only problem is that if you do decide that you want to run an amp with your radio you really need it to be going directly to your battery.

As for forgetting to turn your radio off...you dont have to worry about it draining your battery. I leave mine on basically 24/7 and i have never had a problem with a dead battery. So running it to something that is always on is no problem

Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 PM
KKYW Ram 7
Rookie

It's basically this : http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...odsInSession=1 except it comes without the wire attached, and you plug both the positive and negitive ends of the cb power wire into it. I have mine plugged into the cig outlet and it turns off automatically with the truck.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 PM
bananafarmer
Professional

if you use the cig lighter attachment you will lose one of your power ports and if you are like me these rams just dont have enough cig lighter plug ins for all my gadgets and gizmos

Old 11-18-2008, 08:54 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

yeah true i do run a radar and gps sometimes, im thinking about doing it to the battery if anyone else has any ideas they would be appreciated

Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM
mjackson92rs
Professional

run it directly from the battery. this will ensure the radio will be operating at full potential and eliminate alt. whine.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

wheres the easiest access through the firewall to run it to the battery and the antenna in?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 PM
bananafarmer
Professional

there should be a plug in the firewall near where your powersteering and steering column enter the cab that you can run your power wire threw. I ran mine through the grommet for the steering column with no problems

I have done many installs and if you can just find a soft spot in the firewall that you can cut a small hole in it will work so good luck

Old 11-18-2008, 10:18 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

alright thanks yeah i was wondering where to run the antenna wire through too ill look around and see what i can do thanks

Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 PM
bananafarmer
Professional

are you mounting the antenna on the bed rail or on the front fender. If you are mounting on the bed rail you can run the wire along the underbelly of hte truck then through one of the many plugs in the floor board. If you are mounting on the front fender then you can run it the same way as your power wires. If you are using a magnet mount on the roof you can run it through the 3rd brakelight and keep it up in the headliner then down the door pillar.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not sure about 3rd gen, but on 2nd gen auto trans there is a big rubber plug on the firewall where the clutch linkage would be. cut a little slit in it and poke the wires through.

Quick Reply: cb radio