3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine was bone dry after 4 days!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 PM
defektion
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine was bone dry after 4 days!!

Hey everyone.. I posted a recent thread about my low oil pressure. Well today i went out there and looked... my truck was bone dry on oil. I had the oil changed on Friday.. put 10w30 Full Syntec royal purple in it.. and drove about 600 miles. Come tuesday my engine has no oil pressure and the engine started knocking. I looked on the dip stick and there was NO oil. My truck is a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4x4 SLT. I never noticed any smoke from the tailpipe nor any other problems. I did notice a very small leak of oil where i park, but nothing that would cause me to lose 7 quarts in just 4 days and going 600 miles. Anyone know what can lead to this?

Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 PM
justanothermoparman
Veteran

Originally Posted by defektion
Hey everyone.. I posted a recent thread about my low oil pressure. Well today i went out there and looked... my truck was bone dry on oil. I had the oil changed on Friday.. put 10w30 Full Syntec royal purple in it.. and drove about 600 miles. Come tuesday my engine has no oil pressure and the engine started knocking. I looked on the dip stick and there was NO oil. My truck is a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4x4 SLT. I never noticed any smoke from the tailpipe nor any other problems. I did notice a very small leak of oil where i park, but nothing that would cause me to lose 7 quarts in just 4 days and going 600 miles. Anyone know what can lead to this?
Where I used to work we used WIX Filters and I've seen them blow there gasgets. I have also had friends have there oil changed at service shops and they have over tightened the drainplugs, and striped the threads. Could this be situiation?

Old 11-19-2008, 08:27 PM
defektion
Amateur

i have no idea.. it was done here on base and i watched the guy do it... i wonder if someone came at night and drained it.. but i dont know who.. i dont have any enemies

Old 11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
blyttle72
Amateur

Check to see if the old oil filter gasket is stuck to the engine. This happens sometimes causing the new filter not to seat properly. If that is not the problem, make sure the filter is tight. If either on of these things happens then you will loose oil fast.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
sos
All Star

I'm with the other guys - it's probably either a loose (or missing) drain plug or improperly seated filter. Check both of those places, then fix whatever you have to and refill it.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

look underneath it, If you lost 1+ quart of oil while driving the whole underside of the truck will be coated in oil.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by black_03
look underneath it, If you lost 1+ quart of oil while driving the whole underside of the truck will be coated in oil.
Yea, that's what I was gonna say. Like in 600 miles you wouldn't pick up all the dirt, so look at the filter. If that leaked, there would be oil all over that. If you did lose it driving, yea, the underside might have just a tad bit of oil on it.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

just because there's no oil on the dipstick doesn't mean your bone dry. You can be just under the dipstick and only be 1-1/2qts low. Maybe you watched the guy pour in only 6qts and you burned 1/2qt? I would get under there and see what the deal is. If they did something wrong, you can make them replace what ever they fudged up!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:34 PM
galvatron
Amateur

park the truck now......
get a ride to any auto parts/walmart buy a drain pan. if you own any tools find the appropriate size and remove your drain plug, then over your shiny new drain pan...... see how much oil if any drains out, oil is cheap even at 8-10 bucks a quart. and if you use a new pan and you really wanna you could just pour the oil back in.
if you have a real knock and there is no oil your engine is toast.

if you lost your oil due to a leak it would look like the exxon valdez was in your driveway, and the bottom of your truck would be permanently rust prooffed.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:06 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i agree, no way you lost all your oil without noticing, unless someone drained it.

check it after its been sitting for a while, let the oil drain back into the pan.

Quick Reply: Engine was bone dry after 4 days!!