3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

winter weather driving psi on thirty fives??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:52 AM
6 hemi ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i stated this above, and im sure you all are aware of this but the bfgs as well as the goodyeat mtrs are supposed to be set at 65 cold. i see some of you run your tires at 35 as i did until i noticed one day my tires as many other new tires should be pressurized much higher than those of a few years ago. just a thought id mention.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 AM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 6 hemi ram
i stated this above, and im sure you all are aware of this but the bfgs as well as the goodyeat mtrs are supposed to be set at 65 cold. i see some of you run your tires at 35 as i did until i noticed one day my tires as many other new tires should be pressurized much higher than those of a few years ago. just a thought id mention.
Mine say the max PSI is 85, but I am not going to run them there! Just because tire is rated for 65-85PSI does not mean you have to run them there! If I put mine at 60 if feels like I am driving with solid tires and can feel every bump in the road!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:33 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

run yours at what ever you want. if it says 85 and you run at 35 then you are going to do damage to your tires over time. that is the same as running your 35 rated tires at 20. do you do that too. doubt it.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:04 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by 6 hemi ram
run yours at what ever you want. if it says 85 and you run at 35 then you are going to do damage to your tires over time. that is the same as running your 35 rated tires at 20. do you do that too. doubt it.
I'm sorry but this logic is just plain wrong, MAX psi is printed on the tires not the recommended psi, that's in the doorframe, and 9 times out of 10 the recommended tire pressure is lower than the max. tire pressure. Increase the pressure if your carrying a heavy load but other than that the old "drive thru some water and look for a flat contact patch" still holds true.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

that may be true if you are running the original goodyear 245/70/17s. on the side of the tire it does indeed state max tire pressure 44psi. and as you stated in the doorframe it does indeed state 36psi. going by that 36 is 80% of 44. so you could run safely at 80 percent max.

the tires I have, BF Goodrich T/As, have a cold temp pressure recommendation of 65 psi. 80% of 65 is 52. so theoretically i could safely run at 52psi. however my tire does not state max pressure 65 it states cold temp 65. so i run at 65.

now i do not know what the side of your tire says but it is one of the 2 scenarios above id guess comfortably. 80% of 85 is....68psi or cold temp is 85.

the question was asked what is the psi on 35s in the snow. depends on the tire, manufacturer, and if you want to run 80 -100% recommmended on the side of tire.

as i said before and is stated on the BFGoodrich website, run what is stated on the side of tire when cold. mine says 65psi and that is what i run.

Quick Reply: winter weather driving psi on thirty fives??