3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

winter weather driving psi on thirty fives??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Max00racer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter weather driving psi on thirty fives??

Got me some All Terrain K/O's for the winter up here in oswego. Got some good accumulation lately and i wanna air down my tires. anybody have a clue what i should run them at?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would do 35psi. Make sure you fill them or measure the psi when the tire is cold. When it gets even colder the pressure will slightly drop and when your driving on them and getting them warm like on the highway, they will slightly rise. 35 will give you enough room for contraction/expansion

When I got my Cooper Zeon's on. They filled them to 40psi and the ride was kinda harsh so i let some air out.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM
red06RAM
All Star

Normal PSI. No need to air down radial tires.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Max00racer
Veteran

I'm talking temporarily for bad weather driving, increase footprint and increase traction...
I went out and aired them down to 20psi all around and the fronts are definitely bulging out more than the rears. I was doing some reading online and seems like around 12-15psi is what people say they air down to in poor traction conditions

Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Max00racer
I'm talking temporarily for bad weather driving, increase footprint and increase traction...
I went out and aired them down to 20psi all around and the fronts are definitely bulging out more than the rears. I was doing some reading online and seems like around 12-15psi is what people say they air down to in poor traction conditions
What? That's ridiculous. When you air your tires down that much, your basically running on your sidewalls. At that psi, the middle of the tread actually starts to bow in. The only thing that will help out with that low of a psi are the tread blocks will be more pliable. Running that low your more prone to flats and more so blowouts. Tires heat up very fast when you run them that low. I would just keep them at normal pressure. Your beter off adding some tube sand in the bed when the weather gets bad. I bought 5bags to put in the bed. 250lbs over the axle. If you put them more towards the tailgate it acts like even more weight due to leverage

Old 11-21-2008, 07:41 PM
jkillman
Professional

No need to run it that low in my opinion. dont think its neccassary. I would drop it like 5 psi or at most 10.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Max00racer
Veteran

Found this site, definitely some good tips on there
http://www.4x4tirereview.com/airdown.html

As far as snow driving goes; as long as your not driving at highway speeds on low air pressure, it is a good idea to air down to the point where the sidewall thickness is 75% that of normal driving psi (the 8.5" 35psi sidewall height of my BFG's to around 6.3" at whatever psi). This will help to give the tire a much bigger foot print for more flotation and allow it to grab the snow better, especially when its packed hard.

When it comes to driving on the road, yes if your driving above 30mph on straight pavement no snow, you are absolutely more prone to blowouts because of rapidly increasing tire temperature from the increased friction and flex of the low tire.

So for deep snow, air down to increase flotation and decrease the risk of sinking down and getting stuck. And for light snow it is better to have a more normal pressure to be able to dig down to the harder surface that offers traction

Old 11-21-2008, 11:47 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Never had a problem with using the recommended pressures in the snow. 36psi for the RAM.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:05 AM
6 hemi ram
Professional

the bfgs, that i have anyway, have a cold temperature recommendation of 65 psi. in deep snow air down to no less than 20 to be safe. light accumulations, regular pressure. in the winter get some sand bags, 300 pounds is enough. that reminds me i need to go get some sand tomorrow!! in snow the narrower the tire, the easier it is to get through. unless it is deep, like feet of snow, where you want to float on the snow. if it gets deep, i just stay home and wait for the plows.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:34 AM
galvatron
Amateur

radial tires + low pressure = tire damage.
snow doesnt change anything run them at normal pressure. lower pressure may increase your footprint but the amount of pressure you'll need to drop to increase your footprint will be about down to 15-20psi or less. at 15 psi you'll ruin you tires quick. plus at 15 psi in snow you'll be all over the road with mushy tires and kinda floatin on whatever snow is there. if you dont have the traction you want get the bfg mud terrains. worlds of difference, yes they are louder and probably more expensive but if traction in snow is what you want they are great. check out interco's LTB if you really wanna go in the snow/mud or whatever else. bias ply, fast wear on pavement, loud, can be hard to balance(if you even bother) i love 'em on my other toys. if you do swap to the mud terrains sipe the larger lugs, it makes them stick like velcro. google tire siping if you dont know.

try bleedin your tires down one day in the driveway to see at what psi you begin to deform your tires. if they an E rated tire you gonna be impressed at how low you have to go.
btw refilling them if you dont have a compressor at home or CO2 sucks.

Last edited by galvatron; 11-22-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: winter weather driving psi on thirty fives??