3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Making foglights stay on with highbeams on a 2008

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Claw
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sos
They might tell you they can't do it because I believe it's a federal regulation in the US that you can't have fog lights on at the same time as high beams. If you can find a dealer that will do it, they will probably make you promise not to tell.
The only laws I've seen just say that you cannot have more than 4 front headlight/foglight/driving light elements on at a time on a public road.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Claw
Rookie

Originally Posted by we_the_unforgiven
My dealer wouldn't change mine to import mode because if I brought it in for warranty work somewhere other than there, if someone hooked up to the computer, they'd see it was set up for export and may cause complications for warranty work.
Sounds like he was handing you BS. Like I said, you'll just have to keep trying different service techs or different stealerships until you get one who's not clueless and/or a jerk.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of'em are jerks that's the problem. They make commissions on everything. They make next to nothing for any warranty work. They love to tell people it will void your warranty so they don't have to do it.
FYI, you can add a supercharger on and it CANNOT void your warranty. So I seriously doubt a foglight mod will void any kind of warranty exept if you run them low on fluid.....lol
Here's some Vortech info:
Will it void my factory warranty?
The installation of Vortech products, except those defined as "for racing use only" do not void the new vehicle warranty nor should they cause the vehicle to fail emissions tests. We recommend that you discuss this subject with the service department at the dealership where the vehicle's warranty work is performed.
If the vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at 202-233-9040. If federal warranty protection is denied, call the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at 202-326-3128.

This was directly from Whipple:
It is illegal for a Dealership to void your warranty simply because you have modifications to your vehicle. It is the Dealerships responsibility to prove that any modification was the reason for a failure. With that said, some Dealerships are more performance orientated and willing to work with customers. It would be our suggestion to consult with your local Dealership regarding their warranty specifics

Those were kinda off topic, but very extreme just so you get a concept of how things are Suppose to be. I'm still gonna go and see if they wil change my foglights for me.

Last edited by dirtydog; 11-24-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 PM
sos
All Star

Originally Posted by Claw
The only laws I've seen just say that you cannot have more than 4 front headlight/foglight/driving light elements on at a time on a public road.
That might be true, but realize that many single bulb headlight systems high beam mode is created by turning on two elements in each bulb, so you have 4 elements glowing simply by turning on your high beams. Having your fog lights on would create 6.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Flyman1981
Amateur

I want to do this to mine... The forward lighting in my 08 leaves some to be desired! I will change to lowbean HID's and probably still want to add fogs for high beams...

Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Grey-Ghost
Professional

the reason they go off is because the federal goverenment says u can only have so many lumans of light on public roadways so dodge turns them off when brights are on to comply with all the regulations

Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Most of'em are jerks that's the problem. They make commissions on everything. They make next to nothing for any warranty work. They love to tell people it will void your warranty so they don't have to do it.
FYI, you can add a supercharger on and it CANNOT void your warranty. So I seriously doubt a foglight mod will void any kind of warranty exept if you run them low on fluid.....lol
Here's some Vortech info:
Will it void my factory warranty?
The installation of Vortech products, except those defined as "for racing use only" do not void the new vehicle warranty nor should they cause the vehicle to fail emissions tests. We recommend that you discuss this subject with the service department at the dealership where the vehicle's warranty work is performed.
If the vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at 202-233-9040. If federal warranty protection is denied, call the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at 202-326-3128.

This was directly from Whipple:
It is illegal for a Dealership to void your warranty simply because you have modifications to your vehicle. It is the Dealerships responsibility to prove that any modification was the reason for a failure. With that said, some Dealerships are more performance orientated and willing to work with customers. It would be our suggestion to consult with your local Dealership regarding their warranty specifics

Those were kinda off topic, but very extreme just so you get a concept of how things are Suppose to be. I'm still gonna go and see if they wil change my foglights for me.
If the dealership can prove the supercharger caused the failure...yes it'll void the warranty and it wouldn't be hard to prove. They could blame any internal failure on higher compression or a lean condition...any tranny or rear failure could also be easily proven. So if you think you're going to strap on a blower and think you'll keep your warranty you're dreaming.

Also quoting the manufactures of the blowers isn't a good source....i'd say they're slightly bias and are trying to sell a product. Notice how they both say "consult/discuss with your dealer".

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 11-25-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:35 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
If the dealership can prove the supercharger caused the failure...yes it'll void the warranty and it wouldn't be hard to prove. They could blame any internal failure on higher compression or a lean condition...any tranny or rear failure could also be easily proven. So if you think you're going to strap on a blower and think you'll keep your warranty you're dreaming.

Also quoting the manufactures of the blowers isn't a good source....i'd say they're slightly bias and are trying to sell a product. Notice how they both say "consult/discuss with your dealer".
There's no way to prove it was on there if you take it off before you bring the truck in for the service!!!
Also, it was a mere representation to the extreme compared to modding your foglights and losing your warranty as per the TOPIC.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

When i asked the same question, i was told it was illegal to have high beams and fogs on at the same time.

No way to prove if there was a supercharger ever attached to a vehicle? LoL...

Old 11-26-2008, 02:51 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
When i asked the same question, i was told it was illegal to have high beams and fogs on at the same time.

No way to prove if there was a supercharger ever attached to a vehicle? LoL...
How? Have you ever installed a supercharger? I bet not. The ATI kit doesn't tap into the oil pan. There's no cutting any wires. It's all plug'n'play. I've done it! They cannot imply anything because maybe a bolt or 2 looks like a wrench has been on the alternator bracket or similar...etc...

Last edited by dirtydog; 11-26-2008 at 02:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Making foglights stay on with highbeams on a 2008