3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Making foglights stay on with highbeams on a 2008

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
How? Have you ever installed a supercharger? I bet not. The ATI kit doesn't tap into the oil pan. There's no cutting any wires. It's all plug'n'play. I've done it! They cannot imply anything because maybe a bolt or 2 looks like a wrench has been on the alternator bracket or similar...etc...
Considering the fact by dads buisness puts at least one on almost every week, i have been present at installation many times. I have also seen them taken off. Anytime a sc is added to a vehicle it will increase engine wear. How much can't be proven. A forced induction is going to create more combustion pressure. Which in turn generates more force on bearings, pistons / rings, crankshaft bearing bolts, and the block the bolts are screwed into. A forced induction also usually means running richer mixtures. This could reduce the lubrication of the cylinders if the combustion isn't complete. Of course you also have to take into account how hard the vehicle is being pushed. If it's just average drivng at low boost, there will be minimum wear. Can you tell by just looking at the engine? Most likely no. If the engine is dissassembled and looked at my a person who builds engines for a living, there are ways to tell.

Your comparing fog lights to a Sc. The reason a Sc most likely won't void your warranty is the simple fact that most are not illegal. Changing you fog lights to stay on with brights (from what i've been told) is illegal. That's the main difference. Why would a warranty cover something that is illegal? I'm not saying i agree with it, just the way it is.

Last edited by Got_Hemi44; 11-26-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:10 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Most of'em are jerks that's the problem. They make commissions on everything. They make next to nothing for any warranty work. They love to tell people it will void your warranty so they don't have to do it.
FYI, you can add a supercharger on and it CANNOT void your warranty. So I seriously doubt a foglight mod will void any kind of warranty exept if you run them low on fluid.....lol
Here's some Vortech info:
Will it void my factory warranty?
The installation of Vortech products, except those defined as "for racing use only" do not void the new vehicle warranty nor should they cause the vehicle to fail emissions tests. We recommend that you discuss this subject with the service department at the dealership where the vehicle's warranty work is performed.
If the vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at 202-233-9040. If federal warranty protection is denied, call the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at 202-326-3128.

This was directly from Whipple:
It is illegal for a Dealership to void your warranty simply because you have modifications to your vehicle. It is the Dealerships responsibility to prove that any modification was the reason for a failure. With that said, some Dealerships are more performance orientated and willing to work with customers. It would be our suggestion to consult with your local Dealership regarding their warranty specifics

Those were kinda off topic, but very extreme just so you get a concept of how things are Suppose to be. I'm still gonna go and see if they wil change my foglights for me.
There's no way to prove it was on there if you take it off before you bring the truck in for the service!!!
Also, it was a mere representation to the extreme compared to modding your foglights and losing your warranty as per the TOPIC.
You never said anything about taking it off in your other post. It sounded like you said you can throw on some FI, then drive it to the dealer and say "fix my head gasket...the damned thing blew out". Not only will they not fix it but i'm sure a note will be added that FI was seen on the truck.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:56 AM
xtremedurb00
Rookie

I hope someone finally figures out a way to get this mod to work. My brights are good but, they can always be better.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is illegal then why do programmers have that option such as the Bully Dog GT gas tuner. It lets you keep your for lights on with highbeams although its only vailable on the 06-09's.

Quick Reply: Making foglights stay on with highbeams on a 2008