3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Auxillary Lights and Factory Toggle Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:47 PM
jimfed67
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Auxillary Lights and Factory Toggle Switch

Hey guys,

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 and will be installing a set of KC Hilites #126 and #123 up front behind the grille.

I bought OEM switches for the two empty spots between my existing heated seat switches (they're the same switches as the heated seats).

How would I go about hooking up my lights to the OEM switches? There are six pins on the back.

Thanks guys!!!

Jim

Old 11-22-2008, 09:14 PM
sos
All Star

It's probably a double pole double throw switch - you will only need to use two of the pins. Usually it's the center on one side, and one of the ones next to it on the same side of the switch - you'll have to get a meter and check it to see which pins are connected when the switch is in the "on" position. Did the light kit come with instructions? If so, just follow them and instead of using the switch that came with the kit, just use yours. I'd recommend using a relay if the kit didn't come with one, so you aren't putting the current thru the switch. Here's a diagram that will give you the basic idea. The relay pin numbers will be different, but it's a good start for you. The "coil" side of the relay on this picture is pins 85 and 86. The power for the lights is on pins 30 and 87 in this picture. Think of the relay like another switch - your switch turns on the relay that completes the circuit for the lights.

Last edited by sos; 11-22-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 PM
jimfed67
Amateur
Thumbs up Thanks!

Hey man, thanks for the detailed response!! I really appreciate it!!

Quick Reply: Auxillary Lights and Factory Toggle Switch