3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just put in the ebay CAI!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:07 PM
TheBaker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the horn, moisture hasn't been a problem. If i want to spray down the engine i'll just unscrew the bolt on it and take it off for a minute. And yeah I wanted to take off the hemi hat but when I did that the intake was resting on what I think is the piping for the A/C. I turned it on without the hat and it was pretty dang loud. But still with the hemi hat it's way louder than stock and not much quieter than without the hat.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Hemi Firefighter
Rookie

does anyone know about the volant compared to these?.. and from that article you posted, it seems like the brute force is the way to go?!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:48 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Yes but if you look inside the 'hat' you will see that it is very restrictive. I have mine attached with a bracket that I made to the support where the hat attached to. It is solid as a rock and not touching anything.

I looked inside the hat thing and was surprised at how screwed up it is. Not sure what the purpose of that is.....but hey every little bit helps....

Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 AM
mremp

Hey rssjib, I have a 2007 dodge ram hemi, I want to buy the same intake you have off ebay and mod it the same way, what exactly do i have to do to make mine like yours? could you tell me how you made a bracket and where you placed it for the hemi hat, and maybe show me some pictures of the mods to the intake that needed to be done,and if you could just instruct me step by step what you did.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:29 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Yep. Removed all the crap first! The only thing you have to do that is a little difficult is to make a hole for the IAT sensor. I used a grommet that I bought that was about the same size.

Here is a pic of that:

And I bought a sleeve that was 3" to 3" from Autozone because the one with the kit is larger on one side to fit the hemi hat box thing.

There were some pieces that came with the kit to make some brackets. What I did was attach one of those to the spot where the hemi hat attached to. I then used a piece of the sleeve and put it around the pipe to rest on the bracket so as not to scratch it. It is held in place by a hose clamp:

That holds it in place just fine. I bought a real K&N filter to put on it 'cause I was not sure what kind the other was. And that's it!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by lxman1
Bummer that the CIA doesn't eliminate the Hemi Hat where the restriction is.
Looks nice though.
how oyu figure that?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he is referring to this picture.

Originally Posted by TheBaker
Here's the new CAI-

Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 AM
mremp

thanks a lot man! that was a really big help, did you see any performance gain?, or mpg difference at all? How does the filter that comes with it compare to the K and N because i will probably temporarily use the one that comes with it.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

The filter seemed okay that came with it. I just wanted a K&N because I wanted a K&N!!!

The original kit on eBay shows it attached to the Hemi hat. I did try it but did not see much gain from it. And it still sound about the same. When I removed the hat, it made some noise!! LOL

Old 12-11-2008, 01:10 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I could dig up the seller I bought from on ebay. Mine is a one piece unit with a heat shield and didn't cost over $75 for everything. I didn't have to make anything, just plug & play.

Quick Reply: Just put in the ebay CAI!