3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

serious power adders for the 4.7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM
jmr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong but I think AirRam was talking about the 2008 Hemi or older vintage not the 2009.

AirRam, I bought one of your Jet Stream scoops from ebay and like it allot...good work.

Last edited by jmr; 11-28-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:06 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HankL
pay attention
Air_Ram is now claiming
his cobbled together pickup
can out accelerate a
2009 Single Cab 5.7 Hemi
I have never even seen a 2009 on the road... why do you continue to make LIE after LIE and never seem to back ANYTHING you say up. You make up lies to prove your opinions and have ZERO integrity... I'm just glad the forum members can see through your shallow minded opinions.

Bottom line... If it cant run better then a 9.49... then it will lose! Not bad for a 4.7L Quad Cab "COBBLED TOGETHER PICKUP"...

Hank, I/we would love to see pictures of your "COBBLED TOGETHER PICKUP"...

For the record AGAIN...

HANK, PLEASE POST A PICTURE OF YOUR TRUCK AND LIST ALL THE MODS YOU HAVE DONE TO IT...

The funny thing is, we are all on a dodge Forum but have no idea what you drive. You never speak about it nor have you EVER posted a picture. I have never heard you speak about your experience with a specific mod on your RAM... You always cut & past some article written in 1983. For all we know you could be driving a YUGO! Please post a pic... heck put it into your AVTR...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR RAM; 11-28-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:18 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by jmr
I could be wrong but I think AirRam was talking about the 2008 Hemi or older vintage not the 2009.

AirRam, I bought one of your Jet Stream scoops from ebay and like it allot...good work.
And he knows I never said that.... but since he see's he has lost the majority he is now trying to swing the subject another direction to take away from the real issue that has been identified by nearly everyone in this tread... and that issue is HANK himself.

This should be a good tread about 4.7L performance power adders... but Hank has completely changed the subject to be about himself and his complete lack of knowledge & experience of the subject.

I think if we ignore him he will go away... if only that where true.

Im glad you like your JET STREAM SCOOP. It has evolved over the last few years to what it is today. If there is anything I can do to help you out on your performance quest please don't hesitate to ask.

Guys, since hank is out to ruin the treads by attacking me when ever possible... I will just leave it to you to take it for what its worth... after reading your last few post, I know you guys dont buy his trash... The only reason I reply to him is to dispute his allegations... I think my responding to him just brings me down to his level.

From this point on, I will ignore him.... THE BEST I CAN!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR RAM; 11-28-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:11 PM
dyehard
Amateur

AIR_RAM,
i see that you are running the 212 cams i like the idea of the ported heads but i would like to run a better cam as well if you could explain the difference between the ho, 206, 212, and 218 cams it would help with a decision also if you could give me an idea of what kind of numbers those heads would do and what would be better a tuner when there avalible or a pcm flash

Old 11-28-2008, 07:07 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by dyehard
AIR_RAM,
i see that you are running the 212 cams i like the idea of the ported heads but i would like to run a better cam as well if you could explain the difference between the ho, 206, 212, and 218 cams it would help with a decision also if you could give me an idea of what kind of numbers those heads would do and what would be better a tuner when there avalible or a pcm flash
I currently have 212's and Im NOT impressed with the lack of low end torque they offer. Keep in mind I spend more time at the track testing mods then I do on a DYNO... I can only speak from my first hand experience between STOCK CAMS, H/O CAMS and 212 CAMS as well as customers who have had all in between.

I ran a best 60ft with H/O cams : 1.99 60ft
The best 60ft with 212 cams is: 2.2460ft

That's allot of time to lose in the first 60 feet.

Bottom line... Im not a fan of adding ANY "RE-GRIND" cam to the stock Compression 4.7L engine. All the regrinds have LAZY ramps. Also all regrinds start off as H/O cores... we send them off to have TORQUE REMOVED to give HP. The H/O cams un-molested make the most torque out of all the re-grinds and those are what I HIGHLY recommend to anyone sticking with the stock compression ratios. This saves you 390+ bucks to put towards other mods that would be better matched... we make more on selling the Re-grinds but they come with too much luggage. And your average 4.7L owner wants to run faster/tow more/get better MPG.... NON of the re-grinds will deliver on that order.

To effectively run the re-grind cams you would need these following "BAND AIDS"... I call them band aids because thats exactly what they are. Since the regrind cams are NOT good choices for the N/A stock CR 4.7L then you need the following mods to make them work for you.

206 cams = 4.56 gears + SCT TUNE ..> MINIMUM!
212 cams = 2800 STALL + 4.56 gears + SCT TUNE ..> MINIMUM!

Adding Ported heads to either of those cams will only MAGNIFY the problem, and turn them into complete slugs off the line, sure you would have decent top end power but by choosing your mods more carfully you could get the same top end as the 212's with the low end of the H/O's simple by going with H/O cams and Ported heads.

In my opinion, instead of looking to the cams for increased cylinder fill I suggest a good set of ported heads that would work well with the H/O cams and would yield better results then ANY of the regrinds with ported heads.

Also, the H/O cams with stock heads would not require a tune and you could do your mods in stages not as "band aids" for choosing cams that are too large as in the case of 206 or 212's. As with the larger cams as soon as you increase breathing by upgrading to PORTED HEADS you would require SCT tuning in order to get the most out of them.

Best street combo on stock Compression ratio:

H/O cams + Race Ported heads + 2800 Stall + 4.56's + SCT tune .. Hands down this combo will be the ultimate 4.7L on the street and at the track. The 2800 Stall and 4.56's COMPLEMENT the H/O cams and ported heads... they are NOT band aids in this case... they are part of a thought out selected total package.

The H/O cams would deliver the best low end torque while the Ported heads would allow for great top end HP... Best of both worlds. Basically the Ported Heads increase the H/O cams potential all across the RPM range.

If your increasing the Compression Ratio then the 206 or 212's may be a good choice... but not on stock CR.

My truck currently makes approximately 290-300RWHP, I think with the right combination of mods it could make an easy 300+RWHP.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR RAM; 11-28-2008 at 07:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (01-15-2022)
Old 11-28-2008, 09:05 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

sheesh ..is that your actual dyno rwhp? thats pretty good....what do stock hemi's dyno at (rwhp)?

Old 11-28-2008, 09:07 PM
dyehard
Amateur

whats the deal with the tuners theyre good to 2002 but after that nothing is there that much change that the tuners wont work

Old 11-28-2008, 09:15 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

im not sure where you may have got that , but with my mods the tuner has helped my performance alot!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:40 PM
dyehard
Amateur

i looked up that superchips and saw that it does cover the 07 4.7 so i guess my question is does it really make a huge difference would it be better to get the superchips or get my pcm flashed i want to get the ported heads and ho cam

Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 PM
jmr
Rookie

Being a 2008 4.7 RAM owner I'm curious what specifically changed in 2008 to gain 75HP?
What was tweaked with the heads and what are the port flow numbers? Anybody know if the cam or intake/exhaust manifolds have changed?

For six years I owned a 2002 Dakota 2WD QC with the 4.7 and 3.55 gears and it ran pretty good but this 08 engine really cranks.

I did read something interesting on another forum. The member stated that he actually talked to a powertrain engineer and was told that the revised 4.7 PCM detunes power output by 10%. Hmmm maybe a Mopar Stage 1 PCM is in the works....another 10% would be in Hemi territory.

Quick Reply: serious power adders for the 4.7?