3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

serious power adders for the 4.7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:35 PM
dyehard
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serious power adders for the 4.7?

i have an 07 qc with the 4.7 and im on the hunt for some more power ive thought about the 5.7 or 6.1 swap but i dont have to get to crazy i would like to get some 08 semi hemi heads and ecm flash along with full exhaust i just cant find any where to get those nor do i know what all goes into changing to those heads if any of you guys in the know could pass on some of that info id greatly appreciate it

Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 PM
jkillman
Professional

Yeah airram is coming out with an intake manifold and supercharger just for 4.7s. The best way to add power is boost. You could get a universal turbo kit. Im thhinking about it but am stilll a little sketchy about not getting a specific fit. If you were gonna do an engine swap, i would do a 6.7 cummins. but thats just me

Old 11-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkillman
Yeah airram is coming out with an intake manifold and supercharger just for 4.7s. The best way to add power is boost. You could get a universal turbo kit. Im thhinking about it but am stilll a little sketchy about not getting a specific fit. If you were gonna do an engine swap, i would do a 6.7 cummins. but thats just me
This is a common idea on the 2nd gen dodges... Why do a gas to diesel swap when in order to do the swap correctly you have to completely redo the entire front end, tranny, dash, and the gearing. If your gonna do all that its just cheaper in the long run to buy a diesel truck.
IMO of course

Old 11-26-2008, 11:43 PM
dyehard
Amateur

i like the airram site ive already bought a k&n intake from them along with the powerwire with the engine that i have if i add headers, cams, ported heads and possibly a tune when they come out im looking at around what the 08 4.7 is running or just below what the 5.7 has and i figure that i can get my hands on some 08 4.7 complete heads ill be about the same spot to then add the headers and tune maybe airram will see this and start carrying the performance 08 heads if any one knows what the difference is between the 07 and 08 besides the dual spark plug please post that

Old 11-27-2008, 12:13 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dyehard
i like the airram site ive already bought a k&n intake from them along with the powerwire with the engine that i have if i add headers, cams, ported heads and possibly a tune when they come out im looking at around what the 08 4.7 is running or just below what the 5.7 has and i figure that i can get my hands on some 08 4.7 complete heads ill be about the same spot to then add the headers and tune maybe airram will see this and start carrying the performance 08 heads if any one knows what the difference is between the 07 and 08 besides the dual spark plug please post that
I know the cams are different... Im not sure if the cam gears are different or if the cam sensor is in the same location... I know you could get them bolted up... but will our Older style cam sprockets bolt to the 2008 cams is the question and will they be in the correct center line with the idler sprocket in the... If so then I would say they could very well be a direct bolt in... the next step would be getting the coils to work.

I do know that the 2008 cams are different then the 1999-2007 cams.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-27-2008, 08:11 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the reliable (and common sense)
way to learn what
"serious power adders"
can be done to the
4.7 V8
is to simply study
the changes from the
2007 to 2008 model years

Old 11-27-2008, 11:43 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dyehard, what kind of performance are you looking to make... do you have a specific trip time/speed or even vehicle your looking to beat?

This would give us an idea what you expect and what you would need to do to make that happen.

As Hank pointed out... again Hank thanks for the plug, Since the 2008 4.7L has improved head flow and the intake manifold has also been improved to flow more a set of our CNC ported heads would bring the 1999-2007 into the future. Of course our heads would out flow the 2008 factory castings but that would be the first step into getting to that level. You do not need to swap to a 2008 head, and I personally think it would be easier to install and you could get better flow with less money with a set of our CNC ported heads.

Also if you did swap them you would have to deal with how to get the dual plug set up to work... perhaps it would work with your current wires... thats un known at this time... It would be cool to see somone try it, but do you have the money to experiment and possibly not have it work?

There are quite a few ways to make more HP then the 2008 4.7L... they just come with more HP... so they have a slight head start. My 2002 Quad Cab 4.7L runs just as fast as a SINGLE CAB HEMI... so you can make yours run hard without swapping in a 2008 4.7L.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-27-2008, 10:32 PM
dyehard
Amateur

airram i like the sound of your ported heads prolly mated with an ho cam i would like to get a tune as well but i havent seen any out there all the posts about that on here say they dont have the tune yet would you recomend a tune or remapped ecu also what kind of power are the heads making and if you know with the ho cam

Old 11-28-2008, 07:58 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pay attention
Air_Ram is now claiming
his cobbled together pickup
can out accelerate a
2009 Single Cab 5.7 Hemi

Quick Reply: serious power adders for the 4.7?