3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems with Magnaflow exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 PM
southerntp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Magnaflow exhaust!

I just had a local exhaust shop install a Magnaflow muffler on my 04 1500 hemi. He cut the factory exhaust at the muffler and took everything from there back off the truck. He installed a magnaflow muffler that he told me the total length was 14" and turned it down at the rear end. It was a universal muffler that he told me they install on most trucks. Well at idle the truck sounds great, at even at wide open throttle it is bearable but at highway speeds the drone is unbearable. Around 1600 rpms (65-70 mph) you can hardly even have a conversation. Will it help to run the pipes out further or is this just the wrong muffler totally? What length muffler do I need and if it is a universal one then can you give me a part number? I dont have the money for a whole kit so I would like to just replace the muffler if possible. Also does it make it louder in the cab if it is turned down at the rear end? I just dont want to run the pipes all the way out the back of the truck. Some help would be greatly appreciated and if you guys can give me the part number of the muffler I need then I know I can get it right. I want a deep rumble expecially at WOT but the drone and the loudness of the drone is unacceptable for me. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 PM
damien1023
Veteran

if you are dumping it right after the muffler its going to drone really bad in the cab. running it out the back of the truck should help quite a bit. you maybe want to add a resonator if that still isnt enough

Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Yeah sending it out the back is definately the way to do it. I have the FM50 DOR set up and it does a pretty good job. You can hear it roar from about a half mile away, but I can talk to my fiance at the highway speeds without a problem. It is basically silent in the cab at idle (sounds great from behind it), but when I get into the gas it sounds great. All I can say is that DOR is the way to go. When I add a new CAI, headers, and free flow cats I am probably going to ditch the FM for either the shorter of the two Magnaflow 5x8's, or possibly the cherry bomb vortex. Either way it should sound great out the rear and won't be louder than a metallica concert inside the cab also.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i personally love the drone. i have a si/do flowmaster 40 series. and it is loud at every throttle level. on the highway i cannot have a normal conversation but im fine with that, thats why i got the exhaust.
either you could put the stock resonator back in that was probably taken out or you could get a longer muffler or even a different muffler all together. get a tamer conservative muffler. go back to the same shop and see what they have to offer and explain. My brother in law has a 50 series flowmaster on his truck and it is pretty tame, at wot you hear it and it rumbles nicely but every other throttle level its not that loud at all. you can tell its not stock though which sounds like what you want, he also still has teh stock resonator too. sounds like what you want

Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i havent installed exhaust yet by my grandfather has an 03 with the hemi and he has a universal magnaflow and i know exactly what you mean but i think it sounds badaa at all levels its loud at begining open and just cruising around but then again it sounds like thats not what you want so i would put the resinator back on

Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a magnaflow that empties out the side in front of the rear tire. It's the dual angled tip set-up. I have almost no drone or interior resonance. Don't get me wrong, I can hear the exhaust, but it's crisp and clean, no droning that is cloudy and reverberating. I can talk to my passengers at any speed without forcing speech. It's the same at any rpm.
Maybe have them bend a piece that goes out the side and that should be much better.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:45 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i have mine exit out both sides behind the rear tires at about 45 degrees out and its loud but i do have an aggressive muffler too.....

Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I have a 18" magnaflow SI/SO exiting the stock location with zero drone...I do have the front resonator still though.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:04 AM
04 blue Hemi

I had a shop install a magnaflow with the stock tailpipe, resonator removed, and the drone was terrible, the shop then tried a 40 series flowmaster, still terrible. a 24" resonator was then installed infront of the 40 series, no help from that. I finally called the flowmaster rep, and was told that the 40 series was too small for the hemi and it will drone. Went to a 50 series with no resonator, and still have some drone between 1800-2100 rpm but not bad. Excellent sound outside. If you want to stick with a magnaflow you will have to get a long muffler and probably keep the resonator to limit the drone. Luckily my shop did all this changing around at no extra cost.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:10 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

I have the magnaflow with duels out the rear, and you can't really hear it at all. I think if you will get longer pipes you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Problems with Magnaflow exhaust!