3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008 | 05:01 PM
devildg84
Professional

yeah i have been using it for the past 6 months and love it. truck runs smoother and lost that tick in the engine too, and idles smoother too

Old 12-03-2008 | 06:35 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

I was just in WalyWorld and was seeing how much 5w20 Mobil1 was, they were out. So then I looked for some other kinds. No RP but they had Full Synthetic Penzoil for nearly the same price as Mobil 1. i think it was maybe $2 cheaper.
ohh, i almost forgot that the price was for the 5qt jug

Old 12-04-2008 | 12:14 AM
jankerson
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Wapakfred
I'm not trying to talk you out of RP, or into anything for that matter, but Wal Mart carries Mobil 1 in all the weights, even the 5W20 I use. They have it in the larger containers (4 or 5 quarts, depending on Mobil, as well as the 1 qt. containers.

They have been out of mobil 1 5w30 for the past week or so.

Old 12-04-2008 | 12:15 AM
jankerson
|
Professional

Originally Posted by devildg84
yeah i have been using it for the past 6 months and love it. truck runs smoother and lost that tick in the engine too, and idles smoother too
That's one of the things I am hoping for.

Old 12-04-2008 | 03:08 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

Originally Posted by devildg84
I switched to Royal Purple a few months ago. I never paid too much attention, but now that you mention it, the tick in my engine went away too.

Old 12-04-2008 | 08:28 AM
jankerson
|
Professional

Well I drained out the oil and put in RP this morning, used a Mobil 1 filter as always.

1st thing I noticed when I was done and started the truck was it was like the engine wasn't even running, very very quiet and smooth now compared to what it was like.

Oh it goes in purple, but as soon as it's in there it changes color.

Last edited by jankerson; 12-04-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2008 | 09:18 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah, I'm waiting for the "naysayers" to start hitting this thread. (Hanky, where are you?)

But I was sold on Mobil 1 for better than two decades, and when I went to RP, I KNOW the Jeep idled and ran smoother right away, I KNOW the Jeep has gotten 2+ MPG's better consistently for the roughly 8k miles since I started using RP (now granted I also did RP in the diffs which could account for some of the mpg gain as well).
I also KNOW the "Hemi Tick" although not going away, is noticeably quiter since changing to RP in my truck.
Remember also, I'm NOT talking about going from dino oil to RP here either, I'm talking going from what is considered one of the top synthetics in Mobil 1 to Royal Purple, so imagine if you made the leap from conventional to RP...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-04-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2008 | 01:43 PM
jankerson
|
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah, I'm waiting for the "naysayers" to start hitting this thread. (Hanky, where are you?)

But I was sold on Mobil 1 for better than two decades, and when I went to RP, I KNOW the Jeep idled and ran smoother right away, I KNOW the Jeep has gotten 2+ MPG's better consistently for the roughly 8k miles since I started using RP (now granted I also did RP in the diffs which could account for some of the mpg gain as well).
I also KNOW the "Hemi Tick" although not going away, is noticeably quiter since changing to RP.
Remember also, I'm NOT talking about going from dino oil to RP here either, I'm talking going from what is considered one of the top synthetics in Mobil 1 to Royal Purple, so imagine if you made the leap from conventional to RP...

I hear you.

Well temps are about the same as it was with Mobil 1 and so is the oil pressure from my gauges, but then as you said I also went from Mobil 1 to RP. Gauges are reading just slightly different than with Mobil 1.

Checked for leaks once I got back from the vet this morning and there are none so looks like I am good to go.

I will wait and see about the gas mileage. I don't have a Hemi so I don't have the tick, but my 3.7 is running a lot smoother and quieter than before.

Old 12-06-2008 | 08:19 AM
jankerson
|
Professional

Update:

After some miles RP does seem to be running cooler than Mobil 1 did, and the engine is running better also.

As a side note, that Dodge Magnum tick when the engine is 1st started is GONE now, even this morning in below freezing weather.

Old 12-06-2008 | 10:36 AM
Wapakfred
Rookie

Originally Posted by jankerson
They have been out of mobil 1 5w30 for the past week or so.
I saw a sign in my Walmart that indicated Mobil was suffering some kind of supplier interruption due to hurricane Ike, and there were temporary outages on some of the syn lubes. Sure enough , they were out of several weights of Mobil 1. Funny thing, I went to O'Reilly's across the street, and they had all the Mobil 1 stuff (and RP) in stock.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple