3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to tell if i have a chip or computer tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
stevo936
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if i have a chip or computer tune?

I bought my 07 ram hemi used, and it already had a flowmaster exhaust and a mopar intake installed on it so im wondering if it has some kind of chip or computer done to it as well.

Im just curious because the truck pulls really hard, its a reg cab short bed with the hemi so not much weight, and it seems faster than my moms 05 grand cherokee wit the hemi.

Also if it doesn't have a chip what would be the best to get. On my 97 silverado i had a westers computer tune done to it, and it seemed to work well>?

Old 12-09-2008, 06:03 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Everyone always thinks their truck pulls harder than everyone elses!

Anyways, I doubt you have a chip in your truck.
I just bought a Diablo Predator as it has the MDS disable option! Love it. It shifts very smooth compared to other I have heard of like Superchips.
A tuner doesn't add all kinds of power, but gives you an additional edge plus some hp. I stuck the 91oct tune with MDS disable and am happy. I only bought it for the MDS disable
Superchips does have an update for the mds disable as well now, but I heard their tuners have horrible shift patterns, plus their tuners are set and you can never custom tune anything or modify anything like diablo has available

Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most chip manufacturers do not leave a signature so the dealer has no way of knowing if the truck has been tuned. I suppose you could take your truck to the dealership and ask them to re-program your PCM - may do it for a cost though. Then see if there's a difference when driving. However, if you have a programmer, you would want to return your truck to stock first.

Quick Reply: How to tell if i have a chip or computer tune?