3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Kick down problem when passing

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 02:39 PM
jimboney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kick down problem when passing

they offered to put the black box in mine. but the problem is intermitent. the only way i figured it out was that i noted when it messed up if i put the truck in park then back in gear the problem was gone. they tryed to flash it. I left it at the dealer a few times. the only thing that worked was the range sensor.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:05 AM
KansasRAM

Add me to the list. I had this exact problem the other day.
Ive got an 05 QC with the 5.7 and about 3300 miles.
I was none to thrilled when my brand new truck seemed to be dying
right before my eyes.
Dodge better figure something out because Im not sure I would recommend
some one to buy a Ram after this kind of experience.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Propellerhead

Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead...

I've had my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT for about 3 weeks. Gotta love that employee pricing and incentives! So far the truck has been a joy. Within the first week of owning the truck I noticed the 4,000 rpm rev limiter while in Park or Neutral. "Seems like a great idea", I said to myself. Well, 2,000 miles later I'm on the way to work this morning. I put the pedal to the metal to merge into traffic I noticed I hit a 4,000 RPM limit while in gear. At first I thought "WTF?!?" and then I began to think that perhaps there was some sort of "not yet warmed up" limiter in place since after a few minutes of driving the problem went away. After reading this thread it appears that I also suffer from the transmission range indicator. I'll have to check to see if the cruise control will work when this condition occurs. I'll see how the dealership handles this situation. It always feels awkward walking in to the service manager with a diagnosis in hand.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:54 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This is exactly what my truck did when I put a aftermarket gas cap on it. If I hit 4000 RPMS the engine would cut, keep revs around 3500-4000 and is was like the tranny was dead.

Try removing you cap when it is happening as see if it goes away. THis is why the one post said they put gas in and it was OK for a while, it is because of the pressure release that happened when you opened the system.

I ended up buying a mopar car, the guy at the parts counter even said it is not the first time he has seen this.

Old 10-11-2005, 02:48 AM
DonG
Veteran

I'm pretty sure it's the range sensor as one of the original posters suggested. It's happened to my truck twice. Both times I just put it in "N" while coasting then back in "D" and everything went back to normal.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:13 AM
twinturboluigi

I'm one month into my '05 1500 QC ThunderRoad & yes the incentives/employee pricing were great!

Compared to my old '97 I notice that when the truck is cold, the shift points are different than when its warm. I did RTFM when I first got it and remember it mentioning something to the effect with the 5 speed automatic transmission but I haven't pushed the new truck yet since I just finished going through the initial break-in.

By any chance was the truck up to operating temperatures when either of you guys observed this behaviour? Were they able to at least reproduce the symptoms?

Just curious.

-Luigi

Quick Reply: Kick down problem when passing