3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Hemi Wierd Code? Inspection Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 PM
JamesVT
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Hemi Wierd Code? Inspection Issues

My truck has 52,000 miles. I've had the check engine on light on now for a couple weeks, finally had it looked at today, apparently I need an EGR Sensor? Anyone else go through this yet? Any Ideas what the part runs? I called the dealer, but all the dealers around here are completely dreadfull to talk to, and I get sick of being on hold for 2 hours.

Also, when I just got my Zeon LTZ's the garage told me that one of my studs is stripped on the front passenger side. I took the wheel apart yesterday, and it looks like I have to take the whole assembly out, has anyone gone through this yet? Any easy way to change a stud out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ER sensor should ba an easy enough change. Check ebay for low priced one's.
You only need 4 lug nuts out of 5 to pass inspection if that's what your worried about. Atleast that's how NY law is and their pretty strict here! You have to take the entire fron hub off to change the stud. If it was stripped, it was because they stripped it on you. I hate when things are just fine going into a garage and they tell you that your things are broken, well only because they touched it! You shoulda had them fix it. Seriously, how many times have those tires really been off that truck? Only for inspections and maybe a 40kmi brake job.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Hemitime87

Don't buy an EGR valve off ebay, because the code you have requires the EGR valve to be replaced with an upgraded part. And you can only get that part from the dealer, I know this because I work at a dealership and there is a TSB on it. And o ya, you're PCM will also need to be reprogrammed as part of the TSB as well.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemitime87
Don't buy an EGR valve off ebay, because the code you have requires the EGR valve to be replaced with an upgraded part. And you can only get that part from the dealer, I know this because I work at a dealership and there is a TSB on it. And o ya, you're PCM will also need to be reprogrammed as part of the TSB as well.
If there needs to be an upgrade and a reprogram, then that's emissions and should be covered on the 7yr/70kmi emissions warranty right?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 PM
JamesVT
Rookie

I will have to check on the lug nut law here in Vermont, but hopefully its similar! Anyways, I did some more digging, and I called the garage back, they told me that it wasent the EGR Valve, but it was the EGR Controller? Any idea on that? I bought a Haynes Manual tonight, and it doesen't seem to have any information on changing it.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:52 AM
JamesVT
Rookie

So, Some good news, I finally got around to getting my truck in my buddies garage and checking things out. I bought a new stud, but it turns out, I dont need one! luckily I was able to clear it up with a thread chaser.

Also, I rechecked the code myself, and it says there is 2 codes, but the only one it gives me is PO406.. Its something to do with the EGR, I just wanna know what I need to buy to clear it up. Also, could that be effecting my gas milage? Not that it really matters anymore, now that gas is down to $155 here in Vermont

Quick Reply: 04 Hemi Wierd Code? Inspection Issues