3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

70K miles without a tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:26 AM
southerntp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70K miles without a tune up?

I have a 2004 Dodge 1500 w/ a hemi. I bought the truck in 05 with 38K on it. As far as I know it has never had a tuneup of any kind. I was just wondering what should be done to this thing to get the most efficient fuel mileage out of it. It is an auto and to my knowledge has never had the trans flushed either. The truck has a magnaflow exhaust, afe CAI, and superchips 3815. When do the plugs need to be changed, trans fluid changed and so forth? I have also heard something about cleaning the throttle body out. When should that have been done and can someone give me the link to show how to clean it. I am a diesel mechanic so I am pretty wrench savy. Thanks guys.

P.S. Would I be better off to just replace the plugs with the factory Champion plugs or what?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The differential fluid is probably way past overdue! get that done!!! Trans fluid should be flushed at 50kmi at the very latest. A plug change would be a notable improvement in gas mileage and performance, but dude, gotta get those fluids changed!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

manual for my 04 says 30,000 miles for the trans flush, the manual has a big maintenance schedual in it. good question about the throttle body, id like to clean mine when i put my intake in.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Hemitime87

Dodge maintenance schedules say to change axle fluid every 15000 miles, plugs every 30000, transmission service every 30000, inspect pcv valve every 30000, change t-case fluid every 60000 and belt every 75000 miles. I have acces to all Dodge schedules and servcie recommendations as I am a Dodge Tech, so any other questions I will ba happy to help

Old 12-11-2008, 03:18 PM
draco8494
Captain

cleaning the TB is pretty simple, pop the filter cover off, unbolt the hemi hat (its 4 bolts) set it aside then take the 4 bolts off the TB give it a good blasting from some TB cleaner wipe out some of the gook blast it again and just reverse for installation...and if it has a CAI even easier just pull that off and follow the rest from above

Old 12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

thanks, sounds easy enough.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 88k on an 04 and I have no idea of this trucks service record but i think it said it had a 60k tune but at 90k i think i will have everything redone that can be belts fluids plugs you name it and i think that might be a reason for my 10mpg but i have to weight the 2k due to lack of money schools a b!@ch to pay for but hopefully nothing goes wrong but for some reason there is a part of my mind that says this thing has not had much done to it from the previous owner so i am a little worried

Old 12-11-2008, 09:58 PM
draco8494
Captain

the 10mpg's if prolly from a combo of the lack of maintenance and the 285's.. the tires dont make that big if diff but it throws off the spedo wich throws off odometer that results in it looking like your getting worse mileage than u really are..i was getting a steady 8mpgs with my 35"s switched back to stock tires right back to 15 ish...

Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it really throw it off that much being 285's and i have scheduled a tuning overhall at my dads work for everything just to be on the safe side at 90k im looking at about 400 bucks and thats at dealer cost to thank god he works there and i am also getting the dam hemi tick taken care of

Old 12-12-2008, 02:20 AM
abarmby
Champion

For goodness sake............ DO NOT spray anything into the TB!
If you spray the solvent into the TB to dislodge/disolve the TB carbon/sludge build up...........what do you think it will do to the electronics at the end of the TB???
Please, when cleaning this bit of kit, firstly make sure that the black plastic end which contains the electronics is uppermost and verticle.
That's to make sure that if any solvent runs into the TB it will drain away from the electronics by gravity, rather than draining into them with all that contaminated solvent.
Secondly, always, ALWAYS spary a clean rag/soft bristle tooth brush with solvent, and take them to the TB.
That way, you control how much solvent is actually getting into the TB.
Speaking of solvent, alway use brake cleaner and not throttle body cleaner. Brake cleaner does not leave a deposit behind when it evaporates.

Far too many TB's have been destroyed due to solvent ingress into the electronics.
They are expensive my friend, so take things easy and it will clean right up.

Also, only move the TB blade very slowly and just enough, to just get into it to clean the edges of the blade.
That way, you won't damage the fragile servo at the end of the TB.

Also, stuff a clean lint free cloth into the TB opening on your engine, so nothing falls into your unguarded intake.

When finished with the cleaning, bolt it right back up and go into the truck.
Calibrate the TB by switching the trucks ignition, just to the on position. Do not start the truck.
Press the accelerator fully down and let back up 5 times in one second intervals.
Switch off the engine, then start the truck up fully.
The TB is now calibrated and things should then be OK.

Oh, as another suggestion for your tune up. Don't forget to replace your paper or re-oil your K&N air filter.
That will seriously improve MPG.
Hope all this helps bud?
Take care and good luck! Al.
PS check on your LSD if fitted and make sure you don't have any retaining clip issues left at the bottom of your pumpkin when you service your rear diff.

Last edited by abarmby; 12-12-2008 at 02:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 70K miles without a tune up?