3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stacks in cali, legal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like stacks but only on diesels i saw a chevy 5.3 vor with stacks and it was the dumbest sh!$ ever and just doesnt fit unleaded vehicles in my opinion but deisels are fine just a wierd .02

Old 12-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Chris1530
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep We have some ****ty Laws here..
But i have to agree, as long as you leave all the emissions equipment alone, and on you should be fine,..

I have gotten wrote for modified exhaust on my car,.. had to take it to a instection station to get the DB(Decibles loudness) checked, it passed. They didnt even look at the exhaust system, just took a sound reading.. Now i carry that papper with me, and have alot of cops, CHPs start in about my exhaust, and i give them that.
SO at the least i think you would have to make sure its not going to be excessively loud.
but could be different for a diesel..

My .02, and my other .02 is dont do it if you dont have a Diesel, think it would be tarded, without the black smoke coming out...

Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris1530
My .02, and my other .02 is dont do it if you dont have a Diesel, think it would be tarded, without the black smoke coming out...
Yup, nothing better than seeing a diesel throw all that black smoke into the air

Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

O.K. origonally being from california ,and haveing a friend of mine still living there and working for an off road shop.I know that they are legal as long as you don't change any of the emissions stuff.They check everything when you go for your "smog" check when you register your vehicle(unless you live in a small county that doesn't have that).As for stuff like lifting or lowering your truck they do have laws like your headlight can't be too high or low.theres a specific measurment requirement for that.Also the bottom of you truck can't be too high, theres a specific measurment requirement for that also...BUT! it doesn't go off of your body it goes off your frame.So you can have like a 12" suspention lift and then a body lift and put 44" tires on it if you want to( as long as the frame is with-in the measurments).I had a buddy of mine that had the 12" supention lift with 44" tires on it and he was legal depending on how much air pressure was in his tires.As for stuff like CAI's and internal motor components.as long as there 50 state legal( "carb" approved)they are ok to have running on your truck.but you will still get alot of crap from the coppers and if they want to be a big a$$ they can make you take it to a D.O.T. inspection center and they will tear your motor apart and inspect ever internal part to see if it is "carb" approved.the kicker is that weather is is legal or not YOU have to either put it back together or YOU have to pay for someone to put it back together.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

lol

They can't tear your motor apart and leave it in pieces for you...

Old 12-12-2008, 02:11 PM
seatmech

well, thanx for all your support, i think they look and sound sweet as hell, but thats just me. i have seen fords with them, and they sound like crap. ya, cali does have some stupid laws, most time i dont even like to tell people im from this state, but oh'well. i guess i could call CHP and ask them directly, being that they would be the one to pull me over in that respect.
thanx,
seatmech

Old 12-12-2008, 03:03 PM
jkillman
Professional

Having stacks wont be illegal. As long as it has the cats still on it its fine. No muffler might be illegal in cali though, but its illegal here and cops really dont mess with people. You wont pass inspection with no muffler tho.

Put some pictures up. I wanna see it when you get some on

Old 12-12-2008, 03:49 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont haveto have a muffler. A turbo counts a muffler. SO you can cut that out. Thats if you have a turbo diesel. And you should get stacks if you do.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Chris1530
Not just at you, but... what's the use of filling in what kind of vehicle that we have? If you looked, you'd all have noticed that he has a CTD.
Definitely post up some pics if you get them on. I love the look of dual stacks on a diesel, and when they release all that smoke up into the air.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Stacks are bad man. Id definately say get them (LOVE mine!!)

That being said, they can be messy. Soot gets inside easily. Ive found starting the engine with all the doors closed and windows up, and letting it idle for a bit before you get out, cuts down quit a bit. Depending on how much it smokes (mine smokes alot) you'll have chunks of soot fly out on startup...it CAN get real messy if your not careful...

I get alot of comments on them, mostly good.

As long as you leave the cat in, your legal. Some places a turbo is considered a muffler. But we've all heard a straight-piped Cummins and they're loud as hell!!

Quick Reply: stacks in cali, legal?