3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAI - Which one would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI - Which one would you recommend?

The next upgrade on my list is a Cold Air Intake and before I go out and get one I wanted to ask you guys what you would recommend. I have 4 options and I'm hoping I'll be able to find someone with experience using each to get some feedback.
Links -

AIRRAID - http://www.performance4trucks.com/Di...4555&t_pl=1790

aFe Stage II - http://www.performance4trucks.com/Di...t=4555&t_pl=65

K&N - http://www.performance4trucks.com/Di...4555&t_pl=2783

Volant - http://www.performance4trucks.com/Di...&t_pn=VOL16847

Help me out

Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 PM
rene4967

i bought a true flow because it gauranteed 19 horses and 37 ft lbs. which was the most i had seen anywhere. but that was about a year ago so i dont know if anyone has come out with something better.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:52 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Do a search for CAI - there are PLENTY of threads on this subject! You will find as many opinions as there are CAIs. I recommend one that removes the "Hemi Hat" as that is a restrictive piece.

The Vararams seem cool but expensive....so how much do you want to spend?

Just my two cents.....

Old 12-15-2008, 08:47 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

yeah pretty much look around and choose the one that catchs your eye and fits your budget. they all do the same job and most of them all net around the same gains. i personally chose the volant for my 4.7l but for the hemi the volant doesnt remove the hemi hat which is a must. so what engine you have ? do a search here you will find hundreds of threads on it.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Well my engine is only the 4.7L so I'm not going to have to worry about the hemi-hats (as far as I know?). And for now, lets just say that price isn't an issue.

I'm starting to lean towards the aFe Stage II intake. I've been hearing they compliment exhaust systems very well and it's saying that I'll gain ~50hp, that's the best I've seen so far but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

it is, theres no way i just gained that much, if much at all. i really wouldn't know tho unless i dyno'd it before and after. it does sound amazing, and made a difference. ebay it, theres a guy excepting best offers, got mine for 250, he wouldnt take 240.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

you still have the air baffle ( which is the same as the hemi hat) so make sure you get an intake that removes that......its not going to gain you 50hp thats way too good to be true for any intake system. maybe get 25 tops.... my volant changed the tone of my exhaust alot. it is more deep and throaty. If you like the chrome look go with afe or k&N. if you like the black plastic look go with volant,k&N fipk, or airraid..... they are all great intakes.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I have the 4.7 as well. This is what I removed....

This is what I have now....

Old 12-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright a question a little off topic if i put on a cold air intake and like to mud as well what are the chances of me hydrolocking i have already done it to my last car (mustang GT) and dont want to do it again so thats what is holding me back from getting a cold air

Old 12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i wouldnt even do it. some intakes have bypass, so if water gets in the filter, it some how starts taking air through the bypass located closer to the throttle body. but if you did go cai, id go with the volant with the entire box (that has the little scoop that feeds down) that seems like it would help big time but im sure water could still technically get it. otherwise i would get an intake that stays on top, unlike the one pictured above (same as mine) where to cone goes down the front next to the radiator where its likely to take in water going mudding

Quick Reply: CAI - Which one would you recommend?