3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No modifications Brand New Truck Shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Hudd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No modifications Brand New Truck Shimmy

Ok, so I have a brand new 1500 4 x 4 Hemi with 1,500 miles with a slight highway shimmy. I took it to the dealer and obviously they found nothing. They recommended that I have it road force balanced but of course they don't have the equipment. I called Chrysler and they will reimburse me and provided me with a case number. I haven't yet taken it in but just curious if anyone else on this site has had this issue with a new truck with no mods? The shimmy is slight but obvious I hope the road force balance finds something wrong with the tires or rims. If not I have no idea what to do next since the dealer didn't find anything wrong.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's the first thing I'd do as well. Road force balancing will reveal a lot that a standard balance will not. If that shows nothing take it back to the dealer and get ugly! Too many are copping out these days. Insist they check the drive shaft for balance. A common culprit and often overlooked one...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-18-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Hudd

Thanks for the advice I'll have it road tested and hope they find something but if not then I'll battle with the dealer. That's why I immediatly opened a case with Chrysler because they were trying to pawn me off to another shop that had a road force test machine. I guess the good thing is at least I'll get an honest dyagnosis from a dealer that isn't Dodge!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

Mine has 2200 miles on it and I also have a slight but noticeable vibration between 60 mph and 65 mph. It feels like it cycles about every 2 seconds so I don't think it is the tires. I know if I take it in they will say nothing is wrong, so I'm curious to see if you find a problem. It has done it since day 1.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 04QC4X4
Mine has 2200 miles on it and I also have a slight but noticeable vibration between 60 mph and 65 mph. It feels like it cycles about every 2 seconds so I don't think it is the tires. I know if I take it in they will say nothing is wrong, so I'm curious to see if you find a problem. It has done it since day 1.

This is driveshaft related. Sounds like u-joints due to improper pinion angle. Not the first person i have heard complain about this.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

one other thing to check, pull the rims. take a look at the rotors and hubs. you will see little brass washers on some of the studs. remove them and install rims back on. alot of us dakota people had the same issue you have, and that was just enough to give truck a little shake

Old 12-19-2008, 11:25 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by superdak05
one other thing to check, pull the rims. take a look at the rotors and hubs. you will see little brass washers on some of the studs. remove them and install rims back on. alot of us dakota people had the same issue you have, and that was just enough to give truck a little shake

Those little brass washers are just to hold the rotor in place when the wheel is pulled off. That little bit of weight won't even be noticeable, especially since it's so close to the center of the hub. That's like saying the locking lug nut is causing the balance issue because most of those lockers generally weigh a few grams more than the normal nuts.

Some of the Rams are experiencing premature Balljoint failure. That can cause some shaking as well. Maybe have them take a peek at the balljoints. My buddies balljoints were replaced on his 2007 with only 700miles on it. Talk about some BS.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's the problem with a shimmy, it could be caused by one (or a combination) of many different factors. Have a little patience, but at the same time, don't let the stealership off the hook on it either...

Quick Reply: No modifications Brand New Truck Shimmy