3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

big black air box??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big black air box??

Call me stupid but what is the actual function or need for the big black box that goes to the throttle body on top of the engine?? Its the piece that has the engine size on it. I was looking into the air intake tube thread and it got me thinking....so I went to ebay and looked at the different chepo intakes. Some offered 2 piece (the tube attached to the big box thing) and 3 piece (the intake tube attached to the throttle body eliminating the big box thing) which is better, to have the box or not to have the box thing.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:35 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

To not have the box.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:25 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

that box is probably a resonating chamber. eliminating it will make a pretty big difference on the sound your intake makes.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a way to remove to install a CAI 3 piece removing the hemi hat yet being able to keep the box around the filter to protect it from mud and high water because i would like the increase in power but want to protect the intake from sucking things up I.E. hydrolocked an engine already and I am gun shy

Old 12-19-2008, 02:33 PM
osufans
Veteran

Yeah, think of it as a muffler in reverse...it muffles the sounds of the engine coming out of the intake so the pretty truck doesn't make any noise and sounds like a car.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:35 PM
osufans
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ridinhigh
is there a way to remove to install a CAI 3 piece removing the hemi hat yet being able to keep the box around the filter to protect it from mud and high water because i would like the increase in power but want to protect the intake from sucking things up I.E. hydrolocked an engine already and I am gun shy
That's what I'm looking into. I'm going to stop by my local Advance Auto parts store. They have some DIY intake kits and parts. I'll update my thread when I find out how to do it.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...tube-only.html

Old 12-19-2008, 02:42 PM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

If all it does is keep the engine quieter than it looks like ill have something new to use for target practice!

thanks for everyones help!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by bigbuckhunter
If all it does is keep the engine quieter than it looks like ill have something new to use for target practice!

thanks for everyones help!!!
what was the e-bay site number on the kit that had the hemi hat replacer tube thingy???

Old 12-19-2008, 03:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
that box is probably a resonating chamber. eliminating it will make a pretty big difference on the sound your intake makes.
Give the man a Cookie! Yup, it is basically a big sound baffle, and a retrictive one at that.
A word of advice, DO NOT choose a CAI with a metal tube! My K&N's pretty chrome tube acts like a megaphone, no mistaking when the EGR valve opens and closes!
Get the K&N series (or any other brand for that matter) that uses the plastic tube - trust me on this one...

Old 12-19-2008, 03:40 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Give the man a Cookie! Yup, it is basically a big sound baffle, and a retrictive one at that.
A word of advice, DO NOT choose a CAI with a metal tube! My K&N's pretty chrome tube acts like a megaphone, no mistaking when the EGR valve opens and closes!
Get the K&N series (or any other brand for that matter) that uses the plastic tube - trust me on this one...
aww man, people are bringing cooks and stuff into work everyday, i might already have had a dozen today.

also, a plastic tube is a better insulator than metal, so you will heat the air up less as it passes through the tube into the manifold.

Quick Reply: big black air box??