3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lower control arm "broke"??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:21 PM
hogjoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower control arm "broke"??

I have an 03 HD 4X4 Ram 5.9L. At 48K miles the front left lower control arm "broke" and the right side (front) wheel bearing seized up and the wheel would not turn. Of course, it's out of warranty, any similar tales of woe and conclusions? The local dealer wants $1600 bucks to fix it...YIKES!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Jordan5.7
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get ahold of the service manager at the stealership and throw a royla **** fit. Anytime a part like that fails on a vehicle and put your life in jeporday the maunfactuer should be willing to work out some kind of reduced cost repair or cover it for you.

I read a TON on here about parts failing that should not fail. Anytime something goes that is not a WEAR item and could cause bodily harm or injury...dodge should be covering it.

Case in point...the fuel pump controller (or whatever its called on a deisel) failed on our 96' chevy that has over 200,000 miles on it. We reported to the service manager that the problem caused the engine to cut out in the middle of driving and that it was dangerous. They had us call GM and they APOLOGIZED and replaced it free of charge.

Maybe we need to work on a class action suit for all of the failing control arms, rear ends, & ps racks :-P

Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan5.7
Maybe we need to work on a class action suit for all of the failing control arms, rear ends, & ps racks :-P
Gonna have to wait a month for everyone to come back from their extended vacations!
That or buy better built trucks?

Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like an inclusion or crack in the casting...definitely not something that can be brushed under the rug by being out of warranty. I 2nd the raise-hell suggestion. You got a severely defective part.

**Edit** I'm ignorant to HD front ends...are the control arms cast pieces, or welded stampings? Did the welds seperate, or did it fracture?

Quick Reply: Lower control arm "broke"??