3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

superchips, true gains?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 AM
scooter123456
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can definitely tell the difference in throttle response and a little in power with the 87 octane tune. It is by no means a rocket ship, but you shouldn't expect a neck snapping increase. It's just a 4.7L and the Ram is portly (however, the performance increase is definitely noticeable). My avg. mileage dropped from ~16.5 down to ~14.5 mpg.

I decided to try the 91 octane tune to see what that would do. To my amazement the power and torque improved significantly. I was really astonished; I didn't expect that much of an improvement (especially with the 35" tires). The bonus is my gas mileage also improved; ~ 16 mpg!

The tranny shifts are also firmer; huge improvement over stock.

I know AhmedRam stated he hasn't felt much, but I am blown away by the improvement. Maybe because Superchips had to make a tune for my vehicle. When the tuner read my computer, it stated there was no tune for my vehicle. Superchips had to look at my downloaded data that I uploaded, and then create a special tune. It took ~ 1.5 months to get it done, but I can honestly state the wait was worth it!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter123456
I can definitely tell the difference in throttle response and a little in power with the 87 octane tune. It is by no means a rocket ship, but you shouldn't expect a neck snapping increase. It's just a 4.7L and the Ram is portly (however, the performance increase is definitely noticeable). My avg. mileage dropped from ~16.5 down to ~14.5 mpg.

I decided to try the 91 octane tune to see what that would do. To my amazement the power and torque improved significantly. I was really astonished; I didn't expect that much of an improvement (especially with the 35" tires). The bonus is my gas mileage also improved; ~ 16 mpg!
Big misunderstanding by most is the assumption that the "87 Octane - Economy Tune" will give you the best gas mileage. WRONG! It simply allows you to run 87 octane fuel for better performance with that octane without fear of detonation.
For best fuel economy, it's been tested and proven that of the three stock tunes the "91 Octane - Performance Tune" also gives the best fuel economy.
I've not tested it myself yet, but I would assume that the "Mileage XS Tune" available for download, lets you use 87 octane and would give you at least the fuel economy of the Performance Tune, if not a bit better...

Old 12-27-2008, 12:57 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i always got better mpg's with 93 octane than 87 before i got the tuner anyways. so now being able to get that good mpg and performance was well worth it. my favorite mod soo far ( i say that with everthing i do but this was it nothing else compares)

Old 12-27-2008, 07:34 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i personally got my best mileage ever on i dunno what octane, but it was "mid" around here. one station had em in a non standard order (reg, mid, premium) and instead had like (mid, reg, premium) so before i noticed it i had almost an entire tank. well i made it from my house to danville, va (VIR) doin 60-75 the whole way and still had leftovers. so i dunno what the mpg was but it was definitely great.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
AhmedRam
Professional

ok so i think now there is something wrong with my truck or tuner.... lol.... anyways hope you enjoy it

Old 12-28-2008, 10:12 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the H/O cams and Stock Heads, the Superchips helped me run 9.91's in the 1/8 Mile.. HEMI Quad Cabs where running 10.2's... So it helped me put more then a handfull of HEMI Rams in my rear view. Not bad for a N/A 4.7L QC Ram.

I used it back before the Ported Heads and 212 cams... Now with my Race Ported Heads and 212 cams Im running SCT... and have my best time down to a 9.49 in the 1/8....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Big misunderstanding by most is the assumption that the "87 Octane - Economy Tune" will give you the best gas mileage. WRONG! It simply allows you to run 87 octane fuel for better performance with that octane without fear of detonation.
For best fuel economy, it's been tested and proven that of the three stock tunes the "91 Octane - Performance Tune" also gives the best fuel economy.
I've not tested it myself yet, but I would assume that the "Mileage XS Tune" available for download, lets you use 87 octane and would give you at least the fuel economy of the Performance Tune, if not a bit better...
I agree wholeheartedly... I get better mileage, by 1.5-2.0MPG, with 91 Performance and 93 octane vs. the 87 tune with 89 octane. For my 2500HD Hemi it has awakened the beast within. Much better throttle response and it pulls a LOT better especially considering it's a much heavier vehicle. It takes about 50-75 miles to really feel the difference after tuning so don't expect to see something fantastic right out of the box. I also reset my PCM after each tune and follow that with recalibrating the throttle which helps by getting rid of the old (learned) data in the PCM.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:55 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

I never even tried any other tune other then the 91 octane performance tune... So I would not know if it was better then the other tunes or not... I do know that I did see a GAIN in MPG over stock useing the 91 performance tune...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 12-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Default H/O Cams

Originally Posted by AIR RAM
I never even tried any other tune other then the 91 octane performance tune... So I would not know if it was better then the other tunes or not... I do know that I did see a GAIN in MPG over stock useing the 91 performance tune...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Air ram, I was looking at your site and wanted to do the H/O cams and mopar behive valve springs, but couldnt find the average price on install, what am I looking to pay if I go with these two mods for labor and do I need anything else to run the cams so my engine doesnt implode lol?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:31 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by Ilovemytruck
Air ram, I was looking at your site and wanted to do the H/O cams and mopar behive valve springs, but couldnt find the average price on install, what am I looking to pay if I go with these two mods for labor and do I need anything else to run the cams so my engine doesnt implode lol?

We charge $400.00 labor to install H/O cams and I'm on the cheap end of the scale! I have heard anywhere from $400.00 to 1200.00 LABOR... so you may want to do some shopping around.

Honestly I would try to find a forum member who lives by you and has done this mod... The cams are fairly simple to install IF you have the tools and the know how. Offer them a free Lunch and the first round at the local HOOTERS at the next GTG. You would be surprised at how many people would take you up on that offer.

If you have some mechanical abilities then this may not be above them... There are just a couple of DETAILS that you must get right... other then that they are a fairly simple bolt on... it will take longer to remove your valve covers then the actual swap itself.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Quick Reply: superchips, true gains?