3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle explosion...got pics, need part numbers for replacement please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Max00racer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle explosion...got pics, need part numbers for replacement please help!!

was driving down the road in 2wd and i heard a grinding noise from the front end almost like a wheel bearing noise. its not a constant noise it only happens randomly. Its happened before so I clicked in and out of 4wd. It makes a click then goes away in 4wd. when i put it back to 2wd again the noise usually goes away. This time i heard some nasty sound then heard and saw part of my universal joint bounce down the road behind me...
heres some pictures of the damage done, can somebody please supply me with a part number so I can go ahead and replace it. Also, do you think the splines coming off the diff are ruined or not??
lastly, I had it installed on the driver side when my cv blew, the shop's distributor had a heavy duty half shaft and that one is holding up nice. If anyones knows of this PLEASE point me in the right direction.

pictures are too large to upload heres some links...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...m/CIMG4344.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...m/CIMG4340.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...m/CIMG4341.jpg
this is the heavy duty axle on the driver side

Old 12-26-2008, 02:38 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What year is it?

Old 12-26-2008, 04:49 PM
fgee

yeah those splines are toast i would check your diff make sure its not locked up

Old 12-26-2008, 05:07 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cv half shaft assy.
A-1 CARDONE Part # 603404

$115 at rockauto.com includes $45 core.

if your diff or anything like that is messed up you might try carpart.com

good luck

Old 12-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Chris1530
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nim81
cv half shaft assy.
A-1 CARDONE Part # 603404

$115 at rockauto.com includes $45 core.

if your diff or anything like that is messed up you might try carpart.com

good luck
are these reman parts,..they look like remanufactured parts
I got mine at moparpartsamerica.com new not reman 150+ shipping
genuine dodge parts

Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Max00racer
Veteran

na the diff isnt locked up ive had those half shafts go a couple of times, usually the universal that goes into the hub tho. thanks for the part number nim. have any of you guys heard of a heavy duty half shaft for that thing?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

Don't buy those piece of **** parts from brandx.com. Look a quality beefy aftermarket unit that's made in America, or it's just going to break again. If you must buy ****, buy it from a physical store so you can return it with out the shipping nightmare associated with online commerce. OEM is even ****, because of the government. They are making them as light as possible to lower emissions and increase gas mileage to appease the environmentalist *** clowns who need to be killed. Been there, done that.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Chris1530
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivaskaj
Don't buy those piece of **** parts from brandx.com. Look a quality beefy aftermarket unit that's made in America, or it's just going to break again. If you must buy ****, buy it from a physical store so you can return it with out the shipping nightmare associated with online commerce. OEM is even ****, because of the government. They are making them as light as possible to lower emissions and increase gas mileage to appease the environmentalist *** clowns who need to be killed. Been there, done that.

HAHAHA Good Luck FINDING ANYTHING Made in America....
But the parts from moparamericaonline, are genuine Dodge Parts, as far as i know
the dont make anything beefy (or in america) or aftermaket its either New from Dodge
or Rebuilt by SOMEONE.. and who knows about whos doing the rebuild

Quick Reply: Front axle explosion...got pics, need part numbers for replacement please help!!