3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

suspension lift with plow

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:29 PM
aprilia165
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension lift with plow

need help i have a 04 2500 . i want to a suspension lift on my truck but i plow . i was going to do a leveling kit but was wondering if and how big of a lift i could do. if at all. dont know if anyone has put one on who plows but would like to know. the other way i was going to do was the leveling kit and a body lift but really ends up being the same price. so i dont know what to do. want the look and height.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Plow is already one of the worst things to put a truck through, specialy a ram with their trannys. A suspension might put it too high from the ground. What size lift are you looking for?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:16 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

+ 1 on that had a buddie who had a plow on his dodge and it messed it up big time it was a 2500 and unde rwarranty had to have front end work done and the stealership wouldnt warranty it because he had a plow on it.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:29 AM
robeeto

Dodges make great plow trucks, theres lots of er out there. The lidt all depends on your plow mount, if you buy a Boss, its no problem with a leveling kit. If you lift it more than 2 1/2" you might have some trouble. Pick the plow you want, then talk to the plow dealer, most of them have installed just about every setup you can imagine, and they will help you out.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I've got a lot of lift experience and even though I grew up in upstate N.Y., I have no plow experience.
But the plow will put a lot of stress on front end components. Increase the angles at which the front has to support the plow and the amount of stress on the front end will increase as well.
IMO, if you use this truck for income that you cannot be without, don't mess with it and take a chance on having it in the shop or up on blocks when you get a massive snow storm and a potential for income...

Old 12-26-2008, 10:45 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
IMO, if you use this truck for income that you cannot be without, don't mess with it and take a chance on having it in the shop or up on blocks when you get a massive snow storm and a potential for income...
+1

I wouldn't mess with a money making vehicle. Some aggressive tires is one thing, but just remember that the bigger tire you go still lifts the truck!
I would just stick to the bolt on mods like LED strips or maybe some LED's in your back-up lights so you can see better when it's really coming down out. I found some nice LED lights to go in place of the back-up bulbs. They are bright as hell.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:16 PM
robeeto

Actually, a 2 1/2" level, and a set of Timbrens is a great mod for a plow truck. Other $ well spent is on an Optima yellow top, good tires, and a bedextender; when folded in they are great for retaining ballast by the tailgate. Id skip the body lift, fer sure...

Old 12-26-2008, 04:38 PM
fgee

all depends on the plow ive installed western quick mounts with 6" of lift but check with whoever is doin the install or the manufacturer most u can adjust the frame... if adjusted right there wont be any more stress and a stiffer spring will help your front end with the plow on

Last edited by fgee; 12-26-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:12 PM
formguy
Rookie

I have a leveling kit in mine and a Fisher 8' hd plow. The leveling kit keeps it from bottoming out on the bump stops when traveling with the plow up between jobs. The frost heaves up here are huge and when I would'nt see one in time the bouncing plow would bottom the truck harshly. The kit made it much more livable. It also got rid of the "going down hill" feel.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:26 PM
aprilia165

thanks for aall the help i think i will start with the leveling kit and do my other stuff i had planned

Quick Reply: suspension lift with plow