3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAI to TB hook up numbers

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 05:52 PM
ramhunter9
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI to TB hook up numbers

well i removed the hemi hat on my 04 ram last week and hooked it straight into the TB.
the numbers..... with hat were 12mpg -empty
9mpg- towing
now with it hooked to the TB 19mpg- empty
14mpg- towing

i went threw 2 full tank of gas on this test and these were half hwy miles and half city

so in this test getting rid of the hat not only looks better but it is a great mpg saver

Old 12-26-2008, 05:56 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

no kidding. i just hooked up my new 57 series straight to the throttle body. did you reset the overhead comp. after you did the change? i think im going to reset mine although im scared that the mpg will go down with the cold weather!!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:58 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

yes i re-set it all before the test. i was shocked at first but im not complaining lol

Old 12-26-2008, 05:59 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

and keep in mind i have a single cab short box. QC may be different from the weight

Old 12-26-2008, 06:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The hat restricts air flow to be sure, but your numbers are too good. Me thinks your methods are not 100% accurate. My bet is that you subconsciously babied it a little for better fuel economy after the switch. Very common, I actually did it after I put the LT Headers on, saw immediate 5 mpg gains, on paper and on the overhead after a PCM reset. After a bit, your driving habits return to normal and you see the true difference. My guess, you'll probably see more like 1.5-2 mpg gains, which is realistically what the headers gave me, btw. Still pretty substantial...

Old 12-26-2008, 06:03 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

ive always been easy on the gas peddle but after hearing the cai i keep standin on it. i have to get gas soon so i might reset mine before that then baby it again, see what happens.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:06 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The hat restricts air flow to be sure, but your numbers are too good. Me thinks your methods are not 100% accurate. My bet is that you subconsciously babied it a little for better fuel economy after the switch. Very common, I actually did it after I put the LT Headers on, saw immediate 5 mpg gains, on paper and on the overhead after a PCM reset. After a bit, your driving habits return to normal and you see the true difference. My guess, you'll probably see more like 1.5-2 mpg gains, which is realistically what the headers gave me, btw. Still pretty substantial...
i made sure to keep her under 2k when ever possible, but in real life we can never keep them under 2k so hammer you are probably right again. but for keeping it under 2k the numbers are great. now if i can only learn to keep her under 2k most of the time i would be set ........but it is a hemi i gotta opner her up from time to time

Quick Reply: CAI to TB hook up numbers