3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cai, is it acually worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
not to hi jack your post but with FI i seen a forced air fan that hooks into your intake tube that forces air into the TB on e-bay and was wanting to know if it was worth a damm. it is switched so you can turn it off when you want they say its kinda like a little turbo any thaughts guys
Sounds to me like an electric version of the "Tornado" that was proven to actually restrict air flow and degrade performance. IMO a gimmick and probably does not give enough gains (if any) to outweigh it's electric current draw...

Old 12-28-2008, 04:52 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put a K&N in my truck like 3 days ago. soundwise its awsome, and i reset my overhead yesterday and took it on the highway and it just went back to what the mpg was before it was reset (13.1). but ill see, its also winter. i cant say that ive seen any power gains while driving, but i havent driven that much with it yet.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:23 AM
Ram4wd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: cai, is it acually worth it??

My two cents; for what it is worth.

I have a "custom" cat-back exhaust with one bullet resonator and a Flowmaster 50 series muffler; 3" mandrel bent SO behind the rear wheel (factory position). To that I added an AEM BruteForce CAI on the front end. It came with the washable dryflow filter, but I changed that out to a K&N cone.

The end result; better and faster throttle/engine response. The one thing that I noticed first off when I bought my truck, 2006 1500 4X4 RCLB Hemi, was the throttle. It seemed stiff, more firm than I liked. I was very aware of it. Now, with the above mods, the throttle response is both light to the touch and very smooth!

Of course, everything is louder now as well; intake and exhaust, but the engine seems to finally have awakened. I am still debating the "tuner" investment, so all I have adjusted for is my tire size and speedo correction.

MPG improvements; none - even with MDS and careful driving. So, I just hog it up when I feel the need and enjoy the response and sound! It seems like the Hemi just wants to keep pulling and pulling.

I am also one who feels that these mods reduced my low-end torque by a noticeable amount; butt dyno only (of course!). But I haven't towed anything, so it could just all be in my mind.

For me the improved throttle response and the smoothness with which it now operates are worth the upgrades. I would have liked to have more mileage out of the deal, but I guess you take what you can get!

Good luck on making your choice.

Quick Reply: cai, is it acually worth it??