3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cai, is it acually worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:06 PM
suzuki750
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cai, is it acually worth it??

just installed the predator diablosport tuner on my 07 hemi ram and have a borla cat back exhaust on the way. Was thinkin about gettin a k&n cold air intake but had a few questions. With the couple mods i have (tuner and cat back exhaust) would the cai actually yield any hp/mileage gains. I have read a few people hydrolocking the motor due to water getting into the cai air filter, is this common and something to be worried about if i install one. The k&n looks like it is completely boxed in so it should be completely protected from water getting in

Old 12-27-2008, 09:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

By itself, you'd not get enough gains to notice. But with a tuner and cat back it would be a worthwhile mod.
The people who hydrolock their engines are running in doo-doo too deep in the first place. Yes, in certain situations more water will enter because you are sucking more air. But in the same situation, you I'm not convinced a stock system won't take in water either...

Old 12-27-2008, 09:33 PM
chefred112
All Star

i agree, the simple combination of cai, rxhaust and tuner will yield more hp then just tuner and exhaust...

Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

The engine will only take in the air it needs unless forced otherwise with FI. Being that the engine is restricted from the factory you will see slight gains from a CAI....but don't expect it to feel like a cam swap.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:17 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
The engine will only take in the air it needs unless forced otherwise with FI. Being that the engine is restricted from the factory you will see slight gains from a CAI....but don't expect it to feel like a cam swap.
not to hi jack your post but with FI i seen a forced air fan that hooks into your intake tube that forces air into the TB on e-bay and was wanting to know if it was worth a damm. it is switched so you can turn it off when you want they say its kinda like a little turbo any thaughts guys

Old 12-27-2008, 10:18 PM
suzuki750
Rookie

so would it be a good mod with my current mods. I just can't decide, i have heard quite a few people say it isn't worth it at all and then others who say it's a great mod. I had a k&n cai on my 96 indy ram and always liked it, sounded like a huge vacuum at wot. Also read a few guys actually lost bottom end torque with cai and cat back exhaust, is this possible from a cai to lose bottom end

Old 12-28-2008, 08:17 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I think it is worth it for the gains, just not at the prices they charge for them...

Old 12-28-2008, 09:26 AM
froto'sride
Professional

Yes it is a really good mod if you want the most bang for your buck go to airram.com and buy one of their...it truely is made for your truck and functions the best. If it really want a performance mod the will feel like you got onespend a few more $ on a new cam. but don't underestimate allowing your engine breathe better with the cai as well as a cam. I spent $40 on my cai and now i'm working on making a shroud for bout 20..so there are a lot of options.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
not to hi jack your post but with FI i seen a forced air fan that hooks into your intake tube that forces air into the TB on e-bay and was wanting to know if it was worth a damm. it is switched so you can turn it off when you want they say its kinda like a little turbo any thaughts guys
Gimmick...don't buy it.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:31 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by suzuki750
so would it be a good mod with my current mods. I just can't decide, i have heard quite a few people say it isn't worth it at all and then others who say it's a great mod. I had a k&n cai on my 96 indy ram and always liked it, sounded like a huge vacuum at wot. Also read a few guys actually lost bottom end torque with cai and cat back exhaust, is this possible from a cai to lose bottom end
I've heard/read people saying that too...just remember that an engine is basically a big air pump. The more air in and out the more power it's capable of generating. The intake manifold runners and the cam are what mainly dictates the power curve. Any loss in the low-end will just be temporary as the LT a/f ratio is adjusted...this will also happen anytime the fuel trims are reset also.

Quick Reply: cai, is it acually worth it??