3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck shakes on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck shakes on the road?

I started noticing that my truck shakes at high speeds. I rarely ever drive at high speeds on the freeway. I drove fast a couple times in the past month and noticed the shakiness. I let go of the gas and it goes away for a second then it's back. I worry about it, but am also wondering if it happens to the rest of you guys. My truck is stock on the outside if you're wondering.

So, does anyone else's truck shake driving 85-90 mph on the freeway?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Where you been biotch!!!! Somebody said your old buddy Huntin'Hanson shot your a$$ dead just before he went AWOL.

Look at the obvious: tire balance, drive shaft balance first. I doubt it be ball joints, etc. on an '07 unless you've just dogged it...

Old 12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
froto'sride
Professional

If anybody elses does then they have a problem too. Do you know where it seems to start because it can be anything as simple as an unbalanced wheel to steering misalignment. for starters i would get all of yout tires balanced. from there I would also look at the your driveshaft checking to makesure that the balance weights are still there. basically just looking for a spot where they may have pulled off. Alignment may be a prob in the front end but being that it is @ higher speed it's most likely one of those. Ohh it could, vary rarely be a bad tire and the radial belts are seperating causing an unbalanced effect that happens @ higher speeds cause the force of rotation seperates them.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

I would guess tire balance. I don't know if you have a Discount Tire near you, but the one near me has a road-force balancer which is better overall for a good balance.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

might check the u joints, and make sure you dont have dried mud on the inside of the wheels

Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

Hammer, I've checked out of here for a while. I'm only back because Facebook and MySpace have been getting boring. Online poker isn't as fun after I went up to $98,000 then lost $86,000 after that. Hanson... That guy left because he couldn't handle the heat. You know... If you can't handle the heat, get out the kitchen. He got out.

Thanks for the replies. My rear passenger tire is always deflating on me. I went to Discount Tire a long time ago to check my tires and they said that my tires are all fine. But I'll go back there once I get my truck back and see what the deal is now.

I don't run my truck into the ground. I baby it more than I'd baby my own child. Heh, no kids (yet), but it's true! Lol. I doubt it's a u joint or alignment. Then again, it is a possibility. My next check up and oil change at the dealer, I'll have them take a look at everything.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its probly just a tire outta balance

Old 01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
LBPGH

i went to have my wheels and tires road force balance on wed. at goodyear. But due to the cheap plastic chrome look cover on the 20's, they could not get the wheel to lock on the machine to do the balance. So now I have a crakced plastic cover. But goodyear suggested that these plastic covers might not allow the tires to be properly balanced, giving the vibration. After three trips to the dealer and a brand new set of tires, I still have the vibration. So I have to drop the truck off at the dealer monday, then call chrysler while it is there, they won't talk to you unless your vehicle is at the dealer at the time fo call.

You might want to take the truck back to the dealer and have them swap your wheels with the aluminum non chrome finish. That's my plan. 3000 miles on my truck and $600 to figure out the problem for them. Dealerships suck.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

Originally Posted by LBPGH
i went to have my wheels and tires road force balance on wed. at goodyear. But due to the cheap plastic chrome look cover on the 20's, they could not get the wheel to lock on the machine to do the balance. So now I have a crakced plastic cover. But goodyear suggested that these plastic covers might not allow the tires to be properly balanced, giving the vibration. After three trips to the dealer and a brand new set of tires, I still have the vibration. So I have to drop the truck off at the dealer monday, then call chrysler while it is there, they won't talk to you unless your vehicle is at the dealer at the time fo call.

You might want to take the truck back to the dealer and have them swap your wheels with the aluminum non chrome finish. That's my plan. 3000 miles on my truck and $600 to figure out the problem for them. Dealerships suck.
Ouch! Well, I've read about the truck shaking posts a while back. A thread, I think, had "Death Wobble" in the title. This just started recently. I really do believe that it is my one tire that keeps going flat on me. When it's pumped up, it's all good.

I do plan on stopping by the dealer on Monday as well to do a check up on it for a couple problems that have just started happening in the past two to three months.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by LBPGH

If those are like the 17" chrome clad that I have Goodyear is full of it. With hardly any training I mounted and balanced bfg at's on my truck myself and while the fastest I gone with them was 85 I didn't notice any vibration what so ever.

Quick Reply: Truck shakes on the road?