3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 dodge ram making knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
josejzamudio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 dodge ram making knocking noise

I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7 sport model with 68000k. it started to make this knocking noise that seems to go away a bit when the truck gets warmer. I was told it could be a lifter that is getting stuck. Now the trucks check engine light came on and is running like crap seems to be misfiring. i opened the oil cap and found a small amount of sludge under it. i use castrol synthetic blend 5w 30 at every 3k not sure why this is happenning. does anybody have any idea what it could be?? pls help???!!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

When you say "sludge", are you referring to black or gray goop on it or more of a milky yellow,white and milkshake "mixed" look? What type of oil filter are you using?

If you have sludge then I would switch to a better oil. And start changing every 500 miles untill you clean it out. I like Mobil 1 because of the cleaning power it has but Im sure there are other great cleaning oils that offer great protection.

You might use seafoam, ask around the forum, I am sure alot of people have used this maybe it will help. I always thought the only way to get rid of sludge is to let good oil do its job if its not to late and if it is too late, be prepared to take it apart and clean it all out.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:09 PM
josejzamudio

its more of a milky yellow stuff. and i just noticed it for the first time. I use fram toughguard oil filters and castrol syntec blend 5w-30. and i change it like clock work every 3k. the knocking noise has been going on for about 5 days but like i said it only does it until it gets warm then goes away. i stop driving the truck to prevent more damage. mechanic said to get the code read then change plugs to see if thats causing the misfire if not then might be a coil. what do ya think. thanks for ur quick response!!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

I have the milky stuff too, it's from not reaching operating temperature and the condensation not being able to be burned off and normal in our vehicles. Sludge is usually black/gray or a mixture of both. Misfire is probably the plugs. They are supposed to be replaced every 30k as they are copper plugs. Have him replace the plugs if they've never been replaced and see were that takes you.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:05 PM
josejzamudio

more and more i read thats what im getting. feel a bit better about it. thanks so much..

Old 12-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

While your at it, you might as well have him replace the PCV valve as well which might cut down on the condensation build up. Should not cost more then 10.00 to do parts an labor. Also, one more bit of advice, try to stay clear of fram filters I hear they are built cheaply. I use mobil 1 because it filters down to 10 microns which is pretty low for filters!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM
josejzamudio

That sounds good. i wasthinking of swithing to mobile 1 oil as well. thanks again

Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

i dont know anybody that doesnt get the oily foam under the fill cap

Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 AM
josejzamudio

i read some people had sludge problems and even with reg oil changes dodge would not honor warranty..

Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

You're right. However, you have a milky substance not sludge my friend. Change your PCV valve, and start using regular mobil 1 synthetic and use mobil 1 filter; if your worried about sludge, use sea foam. It is supposed to clean out sludge and help open passages up. In my professional opinion, your changing your oil enough to not have sludge build up. I would never use castrol syntec because its garbage! Only exception is Castrol Syntec 0W-30 Made in Germany. Thats the only syntec worth a damn. You post another thread and ask us forum members who has that milky stuff and Im sure 97% would say yes. Even if you got 3k changes at your dodge dealer and got sludge they would say your racing and caused the problem or find some aftermarket mod to say you caused your engine to heat up too high thus causing sludge. They are cheap and con artist ripoff scammers. I had a great dealer one time ago but moved 130 miles away from them and now cant go to them. You could always pay a couple hundred to have them take the engine apart and look inside and show you if you have sludge if its that concerning. I would just keep w/ 3k changes and you should be fine. Can other chime in with their personal experiances with these motors and oil change intervals pertaining to sludge!

Quick Reply: 2002 dodge ram making knocking noise