3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 AM
ried69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Tires

So over the last few days I've inquired around about costs for some tires.
The first shop sold Mickey Thompsons. I talked to him, and he called for prices. He came up with $375 for 35x12.50R20 tires, in the Baja MTZs. In the ATZs, they don't make a 35x12.5R20, only 35x13.5R20. Those cost $385 a piece.
Another place I went to carried the Cooper Tires. My cost for mounting, balancing, rotating, and road hazard comes up to around $1792 with tax. These tires were the Discoverer STT. One of my brothers friends has them, and he really likes them, and how they have great wear.

So what do you guys think of this? I know that Tank has the 35x12.5R20 on his truck, but the guy said that he called in about them, so the other person should know what he's talking about. Also on the Mickey Thompson site, it showed the ATZs for around $352.60.
Does the cost for the Coopers sound reasonable? The guy is going to hold that price for me for 2-3 weeks, if not then the price is only going up.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would shop at discounttiredirect.com or pick a set on ebay for less plus No sales tax!

Here's some 35'x12.5x20 Open country's on egay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-New-Toyo-Open-Country-MT-35x12-5x20-20-MUD-TIRES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66478QQihZ016QQit emZ260337185619QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Discount Tire Direct has 35x12.5x20 SST's for $343 each http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...adial+STT+TEK3

I paid $15 each tire mounted and balanced. Also,Discount offers no questions asked replacements for $46.50 per tire for those. That means if you run over a brick and blow out your tire, they send you a new one free of charge. Those local places that sell the road hazard warranty is usually a gimmick and doesn't cover accidentals. They cover workmanship which would otherwise be covered anyways and they cover nail punctures which is an easy cheap fix and you can put in a plug yourself on the side of the road and they only cost $10 anyways. Ask them if you hit a pothole and put a gas in the sidewall if their warranty will cover it. i bet not!

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-31-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Rumble

I'd buy online

my brother did and he save $70 per tire and that was after mounting, shipping.....

Old 12-31-2008, 01:36 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Local tire place wanted $325 for each Cooper LTZ tire plus tax...pffft woulda cost me $1404. I bought online and paid for the mount and balance and it cost me a total of $780 with free replacements no questions asked. Would have only been $725 without

Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Buy 'em online and pay someone local to mount & balance. You'll come out way ahead, unless, like me, you have a hunting buddy who's step dad owns two tire & auto repair shops. I do their computer work & networking between the two stores, so we barter. My last set of 35" Cepek FCII's wound up costing me $250 total and about 2 hrs. of actual labor that I managed to stretch out to about six hours...

If you are looking into a fairly aggressive tire, you'll like the MTZ's. A little noisy on the highway, but what good mud tread isn't? I talked a good friend into getting a set after owning a set of Maxxis Buckshot Mudders that went completely bald in 21k miles. I was in that truck a couple of weeks ago, actually hauled a deer I shot to the processor in it. He's had the MTZ's on his truck for 18k miles now, same driving conditions, and you can barely tell the tread has any wear!
Of course I like the ATZ's too, if you want a quiet ride and don't need the off-road traction of a mud tire. I personally know a guy with 70k miles on a set of 33x12.5x18's on a Z71 and he has no intention of replacing them anytime soon.
Sometimes spending a little more on a tire up front ends up costing you less in the long run...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-31-2008 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 AM
jayleonard

HTML Code:
Buy 'em online and pay someone local to mount & balance. You'll come out way ahead
But BEFORE you do that get the online price and go to the shop and ask if they can equal or better the deal.
My son has an auto repair shop and he can usually give a better deal for the complete package. Not by much, but better....and he is one of the authorized Tire Rack shops, so many who buy online in the area end up going to him anyway. And most of the tires he gets in a day or 2.
PLUS then you have a place to go in case you need to warantee one of the tires. You don't need to lug the new tires around, etc.
Just a thought.
Cheers

Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayleonard
But BEFORE you do that get the online price and go to the shop and ask if they can equal or better the deal.
My son has an auto repair shop and he can usually give a better deal for the complete package. Not by much, but better....and he is one of the authorized Tire Rack shops, so many who buy online in the area end up going to him anyway. And most of the tires he gets in a day or 2.
PLUS then you have a place to go in case you need to warantee one of the tires. You don't need to lug the new tires around, etc.
Just a thought.
Cheers
+1 to that... Mr Tire matches online pricing, so when I find a good deal online I take it to the local store...they usually beat the online pricing.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:29 AM
marv02
Captain

Discount tire / Tire America has price macthing just print the add you find and they will macth it they can order just about any tire you want.

Oh yea try to find a add that has free shipping on it and free tax if you can they wont chrage you those charges this way price macthing.

This how I purchased my last set of tires though them a guy at work told me about there price macthing I running stock 265-70-17"s but normal cost per tire thru them were $145.00 per tire I got them for $89.00 per tire.

I had a set of M/T ATZ great tire I was told they are a 45000 to 50000 mile tire so are the TOYO MT they are know to be a long lasting great Mud tire I don't know how the M/T Muds are going to last but the cooper I heard are a good tire also BFG are agreat tire also.

The only good thing about BFG that if you screw one up you can pick up a replacement just about anywere but the other tires you mite have to order them and if you have to go some were but stuck because you cant find a tire for a couple day that sucks.

If you have a Posi or Limmited slip diffs dont run diffrent size tires on the same axle you burn up you diff carrior.

Last edited by marv02; 12-31-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

My local discount tire matches pricing from tirerack.com and others. I have never been able to beat their complete price (meaning after shipping, installation, etc). I've been a happy Discount Tire customer ever since they helped my Dad out on a Sunday after there were already closed when he had a flat. (This could just be the local DT, I have no affiliation with them other than being happy with their service.)

joe

joe

Old 01-01-2009, 01:56 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

With the price that my tires are, they come to about $448 with tax.
The STTs will come up to about $1372. $1468.73 if the tax is with our sales tax rate. I'd like to stay lower like that on prices.
Also, my tires still have a fairly decent amount of tread on them. What would you suggest with them? The main reason for my replacing them is to get the bigger ones and to get my truck closer to how I want it when I'm all done.

Quick Reply: Getting Tires