3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Won't Start After Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 PM
New2Durango
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Won't Start After Break-in

A friend of mine's '06 Ram was recently broken into and altho they couldn't start the truck, they tore apart the console and ignition in the process. Now his key doesn't work and instead of going thru the insurance company or Dodge he wants to piece the truck back together himself. The main question right now is what recognizes the chip in the key that could've been torn apart that starts the truck because this is his daily driver and he has no way to get to work, and I know he wants to ix that first. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:52 PM
sos
All Star

There's a coil that is around the ignition that recognizes the chip in the key. Why is he avoiding the insurance company? I don't think it's an easy or cheap fix to repair the ignition system, and he's probably going to need to go to the dealer or someone else that has the proper scan tool to have them access the computer anyway to fix the ignition system. I really don't think it's a DIY fix.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 AM
New2Durango
Professional

I think he wants to avoid the insurance company because he has a $1000 deductible, but I will definitely relay what u said. Thanks again.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Ben D.
Champion

they messed something up in the ignition. all newer rams have mux activation built into the ignition system. basically nothing powers up through 12volts. it's all threw a ground with a certain value resistor. virtually making it impossible to hotwire.. but start stripping wires and touching them together and you have a big problem. he needs to take it to the dealer.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i had a similar issue with my dakota. basically i had to have my pcm wiped clean and new software installed in order to get truck to start. 92.00 for the process

Quick Reply: Truck Won't Start After Break-in