3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Muffler getting installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Muffler getting installed

So, I finally made my decision and went with the FloPro Max 5x11x22 3" in/out stainless muffler from ebay. I'm waiting on it to be delivered. I was looking under the truck and this should go in pretty easy, but I'm wondering about the resonator in the tailpipe. Who here has removed that themselves? It's on a slight bend, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to just cut it out and install a piece of pipe.

How restrictive is it, will I really get any noticeable benefit by removing it? I'll post some pics and sound once I get this installed. I can't wait!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 PM
TANKZ400
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I just ordered a new muffler I went with aero I just have to decide like you to keep the resonator or to delete it.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star

i would get ride of it i will make it sound louder and get rid of extra restriction in your exhaust

Old 02-09-2009, 10:51 AM
osufans
Veteran

So, I FINALLY got this puppy installed! Man is this sweet sounding. I left the resonator on for now. Has a nice mellow rumble at idle, and makes a bit of noise when you get into it, but isn't too droning in the cab. I'll try to get some audio of it and post a link.

I had a few issues with the pipe sizing....it seems that though everyone on here says their exhaust is 3", the reality is, its only 2.75 coming into the muffler, then goes to 3" tailpipe. And of course, no one around me carries adapters in that size. Luckily the local parts store had a 3"O.D. pipe that slides into the 3"I.D. muffler, then I could clamp it on to the 2.75"O.D. exhaust pipe. It's a little sloppy, but will work for now. I'm thinking here in the future of replacing the Y, and when I do, I'm gonna run 3" all the way into the muffler.

Boy am I glad I finally got this on...I feel like I have a Man's truck now with that exhaust. It was really missing that sweet tone from the factory.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

The newer models have 3" pipe from the Y pipe back....Mine is an '08 model and that was the case. Can't wait to hear the sound clip.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 AM
osufans
Veteran

I wonder if it changed in '06 w/ the MDS Hemi's? That would be a good explanation as to why mine didn't match.

Yeah, I'll get some audio up. It sounds really sweet...not too loud, but when you're next to someone, they know you're not stock. Almost sounds like the Mustang GT factory exhaust, though not as "tinny".

Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

leave that resonator on. i've heard of quite a few complaints about drone when people take it off

Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
osufans
Veteran

yeah, seeing's how it's not really a DIY job (all the bends and what not) i'm just planning to leave it in. for the $$ i'd rather get that Y pipe replaced!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I added the Y pipe from Magnaflow and it sounded a little bit throatier....that is a good mod for not much cash.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Shrek78

I am thinking of puting on the gibson exhuast system. But I want to know where the resinator is and what exactly it does for the truck?

Quick Reply: New Muffler getting installed