3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does anyone have one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Twink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same intake on my v6 and it works great, on the v6 i noticed quite a difference in low end torque and under load. Except my kit did not come with a kn filter so i bought one.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 PM
froto'sride
Professional

For the price you are going to pay for it i would say it is worth it just for the K&N filter let alone the tube which are obviously better than stock since they are aluminum and a lot less restrictive . But like lxman1 said If you are taking it off road in any water I wouldn't do it. however for street it does get the filter in a cooler location. Open up the other end of your air pump and You will feel a diffrence.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Stellar_D
Rookie

I just went with the drop in air filter from K&N, and might scoop up the airaid tube if i see it cheap on ebay. I'm definately going to be going off road at times so I don't think the aluminum look good for very long.

I just don't know anything about the company that builds those tubes. I am sad to say a name brand guy.

Thanks for the help guys. Back to the Vikings game

Old 01-07-2009, 01:06 AM
wilscav

i got the k&n intake from them not the cold air i bought it and installed it last week wow what a difference in sound alone. the one thing i did notice though was that the precut hole for the sensor was a little far to the left which made it a little bit of a tight fit.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 PM
BrianD215
Professional

Originally Posted by wilscav
the precut hole for the sensor was a little far to the left which made it a little bit of a tight fit.
EXACTLY! I put in a similar intake from them about a month ago and had the same issue. I had to sit there and undo the wrap around the wires and it barely made it. I was kinda pissed. I went with a model that didn't drop the filter down by the bumper. My truck sees some mud and water so I wanted to filter up top. Mine sits right in the area vacated by the stock air box.

For the price... I've been pretty happy with it. I noticed some better throttle response, some better sound, and maybe a couple more HP, but nothing crazy. I picked up some stuff today to try to shield some heat. I'm going to insulate the bottom half of the tubing where you won't really see it, and I am going to fab some sheet metal into an enclosure for the filter, partly for heat, and partly for water and mud splashes. We'll see how that goes.

I just can't see spending $200 or $300 for something that's only A LITTLE BIT better than the thing I bought for like $50. I'll save the rest of that cash for the lift.

Last edited by BrianD215; 01-08-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
oneluv912

I've got the Cold Air K&N intake system on mine and it sounds like a beast. I could see a little difference in gas also. But the sound is the best part of it all. I've had it one for over a year an had no problems yet. It's the black plactic not the chrome.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 AM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

I miss the old ring filters

Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 PM
froto'sride
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeorgethit
I miss the old ring filters
If that's true then you will enjoy this at least a little bit

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...you-think.html

Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 PM
draco8494
Captain

yeah had the same prob with the filter falling off, only once and it stayed in the engine bay, the only thing i dont like about it is that the filter gets dirty FAST, because its uncovered, i would like to keep the stock filter box with bigger tubing possibly modifying the filter box to accept a bigger pipe but thats just me