3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Underdrive Pulley/update w/latest mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
whiteram05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the underdrive pulley is the bottom pulley. It's worth changing!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
FroDaddy

whiteram05, do you have the flex-a-lite eFan as well? If so, does your electrical system stay charged; any issues with that?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 AM
whiteram05
Professional

I do have the flex-a-lite fan and as of right now I have had no problems. I have heard of others who have had problems, but I do not. I am not running any extra lights and my sound system does not have any extra amps. Not sure if that would or could create problems, but I am completely satisfied with my set up and performance.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
whiteram05
Professional

I filled up my tank today and my mpg was 16.534. Slight increase. I will not post another mpg unless it it really better. Performance still up. Still enjoy and like the pulley.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whiteram how does the performance gain from the pulley compare to your other mods? I am looking at the asp underdrive pulley for my truck, so I am just trying to get a little info before I purchase.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:47 PM
whiteram05
Professional

Here are my thoughts on my performance mods to date.

First I put the K&N filter on when I first bought the truck so I didn't notice any results. Then I purchased the Flex-a-lite e-fan and noticed a difference in performance. I have a 6spd manual tranny and the truck really became perkier. However, with the underdrive pulley, I noticed the greatest difference. I found that the truck is very easy to drive from a dead stop. On the interstate, the truck in sixth gear pulls and does not lose speed going up hill as easily as it did with just the e-fan. I would do this mod over again if I had to, it just works! I am wanting to save now for a complete exhaust system. Headers, cat back system from magnaflow. I am considering a ported intake as well. I have a long way to go before I can purchased these mods. I want to do these all at one time and not in stages.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Thanks for the info whiteram, I have a few more questions though. Did you install your underdrive pulley and e-fan yourself? How long did each take and did either require any special tools?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:59 AM
whiteram05
Professional
Smile

I did the installs myself. Both were relatively easy. The fan Installed with brackets from Flex-a-lite. I modded one bracket for the relay switch and was able to fit the original fan shroud over the fan. I am not too happy with the slight bulge on the shroud but I am working on two resivoir bottles so I can take that off later. Not a big deal! No special tools, I had all I needed. Regular mechanics tools. The pulley posed the biggest challenge. You need a pulley puller which I rented from the local AutoZone. Once the old pulley was off, I gently tapped the new one on until the bolt would catch and torqued it on. Troyer stated to use a pulley installer, but the one I rented did not fit this particular pulley, so tap tap tap. I already had a torque wrench, so no other special tools needed. If anyone does shadetree mechanics, they can do these mods with no problems.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 AM
whiteram05
Professional

As far as time went. e-fan, couple of hours when you consider laying out all of the parts and familarizing yourself with the parts and how you want to tackle the project.

Pulley. Took me all of the day because I tried really hard to get the stupid pulley installer to work and then tried to manufacture my own to keep from tapping on the pulley. That would only have taken a few hours too if I would have just used a large socket and hammer to tap it on. Which ended up happening anyway.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Thanks for the replies whiteram, keep on modding and keep us updated on your progress. My next mods are probably going to be a fastman TB, jba headers, and the underdrive pulley, due to your recommendation.

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley/update w/latest mpg