3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airaid MIT

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Stellar_D
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airaid MIT

I've been searching through the forums and seem to have confused myself. I've got a k&n drop in, and am planning on getting the Airaid MIT to replace the stock tube. Does the Airaid require that you remove the hemihat or not? I'm not completely sure what the hemihat is, but from reading I'm assuming its the plastic piece that says "hemi" on it.

Does anyone have any pics of the airaid installed? Sorry for being such a noob but I'm very new at this, I'm used to installing intakes on diesel setups.

Also side question. my buddy suggested i get a catback exhaust, and gut the cat. Anyone else do this?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 AM
irelandshemi
All Star

yeah its the plastic hemi piece

Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 AM
pcollins
Veteran

Yes it is the plastic housing that is between the stock airbox and the throttle body. Yes, the Airaid kit will remove this from your setup, which is the whole point of using their tube. It gets rid of the silencer in the hemi hat and improves the air flow, theoretically.

I installed the Airaid MIT on my truck, which leaves the stock airbox intact and just comes with the tube to elimate the Hemihat. Im pretty sure the regular Airaid kits will give you a setup for a CAI with a cone filter at the end, eliminating the stock box.... but I could be wrong. If you plan on keeping the K&N drop-in, I suggest you go with the MIT kit.

Here is a thread that has some pics in it. Me and SeverDistortion both did the Airaid MIT setup and this is what it looks like...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...raid-pics.html

Also, I did a cat-back exhaust setup and I love it. Might be the best mod I have done. I went with a SI/DO Magnaflow and it is awesome. Gutted the cat as well. Deep low tone at idle and cruising speeds, but you can tell I have a Hemi when I floor it!

Any other questions let me know.

Last edited by pcollins; 01-05-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Stellar_D
Rookie

Thank you very much for the info and that link, it is going to be very helpful. I do plan on keeping the K&N and just going with the tube, just wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing in advance.

Did you gut your cat or just leave it? Also what part number (if you remember) for your magnaflow?

Thanks again, great info.

Cheers

Last edited by Stellar_D; 01-05-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
pcollins
Veteran

No problem.

I THINK I went with Magnaflow #12588. I cannot remember for sure... but that seems to be the right one.

It was a 3" Single In / 2.5" Dual Out. I had that welded in and then new pipes from there all the way to the back, where I exited with tips behind each rear wheel.

Here is a link to the muffler on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1318

Also, I was wrong... I did not gut the cat. For some reason I thought you were talking about the resonator. I had them remove that.

Quick Reply: Airaid MIT