3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Intermittent Wipers Not Working!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 AM
WildBill2500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Wipers Not Working!!

My intermittent wipers sometimes work, sometimes don't, sometimes do a few swipes, sometime stay on constantly. The high & low wiper functions work fine.
I bought my '05 Ram 2500 last year and it would make 2-3 cycles at a time and I never thought anything of it. Now, they seldom work and it is a challenge while plowing...

I have already changed out the multifunction switch, but still have the same issue.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, when you find out let me know....mine do the same!

Actually, it appears it may be a bad contact in the wiper motor. Another user mentioned tearing apart the motor or something, and cleaning the contact and it seems to have fixed his issue.

There are several threads on here discussing the issue, do a search and see if anything relates to your specific trouble. But it sounds like the same thing mine do, and I'm pretty sure from the wiring diagrams and the way the timing works, that its the contact in the motor itself.

To explain it, there is a contact in the wiper motor that is supposed to tell one of the onboard components when the wipers are in the down position (at rest position). When the contact is closed, the motor will "rest" (delay) until the next signal start. But sometimes the contact doesn't work, so the motor just keeps running until it does (which is why you get 2-3 cycles in a row when using intermittent.)

Heck, just the other day I hit the key fob to unlock my doors, and my wipers came on, no key in the ignition or anything!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

I had that problem in the spring, my mechanic couldnt find anything but my wipers failed for inspection and after i replaced them i havent had a problem since.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Tonyo88
Professional

I have the exact same problem, changed out the switch and it didn't fix it. I checked with Dodge to see how much a new wiper motor costs, they told me around $250.00. So I think I'll just deal with it until someone finds a cheap solution.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM
osufans
Veteran

Yeah, I think the motor runs about $150 from Advance Auto, but like you said..for that kinda $$$ I'll just deal with it. They work fine on Low and High.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Toefur
Professional

I took mine in for the same thing. They replaced the entire wiper motor and switch assembly. That was in the September.....its January now and the wipers are back to doing the same thing.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Default Yup, its was me

Originally Posted by osufans
Yeah, when you find out let me know....mine do the same!

Actually, it appears it may be a bad contact in the wiper motor. Another user mentioned tearing apart the motor or something, and cleaning the contact and it seems to have fixed his issue.

There are several threads on here discussing the issue, do a search and see if anything relates to your specific trouble. But it sounds like the same thing mine do, and I'm pretty sure from the wiring diagrams and the way the timing works, that its the contact in the motor itself.

To explain it, there is a contact in the wiper motor that is supposed to tell one of the onboard components when the wipers are in the down position (at rest position). When the contact is closed, the motor will "rest" (delay) until the next signal start. But sometimes the contact doesn't work, so the motor just keeps running until it does (which is why you get 2-3 cycles in a row when using intermittent.)

Heck, just the other day I hit the key fob to unlock my doors, and my wipers came on, no key in the ignition or anything!
I figured it out. There is a switch in the wiper motor itself, but as it turns out, the majority of the problem was in the 2 relays in the power dist box under the hood. Replace them both, not just one as they are interdependent with each other. They can be purchased at any autozone, but you'll want to take one in for them to cross reference to a compatible. If I remember right, they are about $20 each. If that doesn't take care of it, the prob is in the end switch in the wiper motor. To get to the wiper motor, the wiper arms have to be removed (easy) then the black plastic cowl. Not a PitA, but not much fun either.

Good Luck

Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Rangemare
Default Hi

I also have the same problem with my truck. I have a '93 dodge dakota sport. I was wondering where to find the mulitiswitch that is talked about? I have been told that is what is wrong with my intermittents... I was also told it is behind the dash but I don't want to go looking blind.
Thanks

Old 08-17-2012, 12:58 AM
Fluid motion
Default Same boat.

I had the same issue as you guys. Low and high wipers worked fine. Intermittent was all over the place. on once. on 3-4 times. doesn't work at all.

After replacing the switch and the relays in the fuse box (which didn't do anything), the issue was simply dirty connections inside the motor assembly itself. There is a cover? or casing you can easily remove, I cleaned up the connection points as "osufans" stated, and they work just fine now.

Thanks for the advise.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 AM
mmslogic

Any chance of getting a photo of where this motor is, how to remove, and what contacts you cleaned? That would sure help me out.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Fluid motion
I had the same issue as you guys. Low and high wipers worked fine. Intermittent was all over the place. on once. on 3-4 times. doesn't work at all.

After replacing the switch and the relays in the fuse box (which didn't do anything), the issue was simply dirty connections inside the motor assembly itself. There is a cover? or casing you can easily remove, I cleaned up the connection points as "osufans" stated, and they work just fine now.

Thanks for the advise.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Wipers Not Working!!