3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking Power Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Yamaha179
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Power Steering Box

My daughter lives about five hours away and has a 2005 Dodge 1500 Ram P/U. She started having trouble steering and checked power steering fluid and found it low. Filled it up and some time later the level dropped again (does not remember how long that took). She took it to a local shop, not the Dodge dealer, who said it was a major problem and mentiioned rack and pinion problems. I haven't a clue and can't even get up there to look at the truck. Can anyone point me in the right direction? She lives in Clarksville, TN.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

If they say its a major problem, I'm assuming the pump is cracked which is causing the leak...she may need to have the pumped replaced which can be a few $$

Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 AM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the common issues is the return hose leaking from the PS rack back up to the pump. It is a rubber hose with a band type clamp on it, that is crimped on. This clamp comes loose, and you can turn the hose and wiggle it, even while the clamp is still on. I'd try buying a $.25 hose clamp and tightening down that fitting before I had the shop do the work. My first inclination is that they're seeing girl, car problem, $$$$. Not to say they're wrong...maybe have her take a few pics and email them to you. Have her check for any fluid dripping...I had noticeable droplets forming on the end of that hose I mentioned, but they had obviously spread all over the front PS rack, so it was hard to determine that was the actual cause.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Yamaha179

Thanx for the info. It will give her something to look for. She's been raised around motorcycles and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty, but this is different from anything she has ever dealt with.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 PM
scuba_steve

I recently had a steering fluid leak and it turned out to be what osufans said. I have an 2004 1500 and the clamp was loose. The factory clamp was I believe aluminum and I had it replaced and no leaks. It was originally difficult to locate where the leak was actually coming from since the fluid was leaking while driving (splash). If this is the case with your vehicle, maybe its possible your mechanic misidentified the source of the leak. Fortunately, I have a nephew who has a steam cleaner and washed underneath to identify the source. Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

I have a 04 and had the hose replaced just short of 36,000 due to the clamp. They told me they upgraded the clamp. In November, at 52,000, I had to replace the ps cooler, it rusted through in the lower left corner. The dealer stated that it is common due to the amount of salt used on the roads here in the northeast. Before I paid my $83.00, I told the poor parts guy that that explanation was completely unacceptable. He agreed and said that's why Chrysler priced it low. On parts they know have issues, they reduse the price rather than issue a formal TSB. The thinking is that if it's not too expensive, thay will get less complaints.

Quick Reply: Leaking Power Steering Box