3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leak around Oil Pan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:06 PM
labrato3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leak around Oil Pan?

Hi Guys, Love this forum. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. I had leak at the clamp on the power steering last week that I fixed. Now I noticed that when the truck is parked after being driven that I have some sort of leak that appears to be coming from around the oil pan. Almost looks like it is coming from seal but not sure. It doesn't seem to be oil that is leaking, but a brownish green fluid. I am taking it to the shop tomorrow but hoped one of you had had a similar experience that might give me a clue as to what I am dealing with before the dealership tries to rip me off. Thanks!!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:54 PM
draco8494
Captain

well theres 2 possibilities,1 you have a coolant leak and its picking up dirt from the engine, or you have coolant in your oil and you have an oil leak? hope you have good luck with it, nothin too major hopefully

Old 01-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

Power wash the residue off the the botton of the engine and frame and watch. Hopefully its only coolant that (1) came from the overflow and mixed with the grime on the underside off your truck (2) you have a loose or defective hose and and again its blowing back or (3) your radiator is shot which is not uncommon on a 6-7 year old truck.

Since the color tells us its coolant, a presure test at your local service station should be able to identify any leaks. Check the simple items frist, after all, maybe your're ride is caughting a cold, alot of that is going around

Quick Reply: Leak around Oil Pan?