3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff fluids/tranny fluids and warrenties

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 PM
caliboy@heart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff fluids/tranny fluids and warrenties

I am at the 35K mark on the odometer and need a front and rear diff change. I am going to have Pep Boys do it but I have a question. My stealership says that if they dont do it them I have to have a reciept to show it was done if I ever have a warrently claim. That being said, do I need to buy the Mopar fliud and give it to Pep Boys to have them do it or can I just turn the truck into them and let them do it with whatever fluid they have. So I guess basically, do I have to use Mopar fluid for the front and rear diff or can I use any fluid? The same question for the tranny fluid as well...do I need the Mopar stuff or the Pep boys stuff? Thanks.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
sos
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as it meets the specs in your manual, it should be fine. Mine says "GL-5 SAE 75W-90 (MS-9763) or equivalent." for the front axle, and "Mopar Synthetic Gear Lubricant SAE 75W-140 (MS-8985). Limited-Slip Rear Axles on 1500 Models Require the addition of 118 ml (4 oz.) Mopar Limited Slip Additive or equivalent." for the rear. It wouldn't hurt to buy the Mopar and give it to them though if that will give you piece of mind. At least that way (as long as you watch them put it in), you KNOW they used the right stuff and not whatever they had on hand.

Quick Reply: Diff fluids/tranny fluids and warrenties